new strut rcomendations

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

flydex28

So here in a few weeks im wanting to change all my bushings, tie rod ends, and anything else that looks like it needs to be changed. I saw that the PIC bushings were a little cheaper than the Hardrace ones... I assume they are basically the same. I know one is a little harder than the other, but anything is better than the worn out OEM ones im on now. As for struts Im not sure which ones to get. Im not looking to lower the car, just bring it back to where it doesnt feel like im driving a jelly doughnut on a waterbed. The stock height is fine with me as I will more than likely be using the stock springs.. I dont have much money to do anything fancy. The stuts and bushings on there right now have about 250,000 miles on them so its about time I changed them lol. Im going to jack it up this next week and see what needs to be done. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

well i believe the bushings are about 250.. so really I need to keep it under 1000, but i also need to get a couple things like tie rod ends and maybe ball joint. Id really love to get something like the eibach suspension kit but its just not feasible. Well see. Ill check it out this week and see what i need for sure.

KYB GR-2 is a good stock level replacement shock, and cheap too.

As far as bushings- labor to install them can get REALLY high really fast. If you're doing it yourself, have a torch and a press handy.

Well I planned on doing the bushings myself. Do I need to buy anything else with the struts.. I saw there was some upper mounts you can buy extra with them or do I just use the original parts on the car?...Oh and using those bushings wont hurt anything will they as far as using these struts? Im assuming they will just stiffen up the ride a little bit. thanks again

You can utilize the stock mounting hardware just fine for the struts. It also doesn't hurt if you buy the aftermarket stuff, whatever suits your fancy. I went with the PIC P1 coilovers myself, great stuff!

Ok awesome thanks. I went to kyboutlet.com and it looks like some of the mounts are on backorder anyways. I just want to make sure I have everything I need before I start this and it was saying some cars have bearings in the mounts that should be replaced.. not yet sure if civics have bearings in there. They have a kit that includes all four struts for $205 but they dont include the boots or anything else. I will probably just get these. Are monroe sensitrac struts any good?

Not sure, I think your best bet would be to Google it and see if anyone has had any good results with them.

Those bushings are going to be a pain in the ass btw, so good luck.

Installing the coilovers is pretty straightforward, just make sure to measure everything so your car is level. Don't forget to get an alignment when your finished ;)

Well I just ordered the bushing kit so theres no turning back now..lol. Did you lube the bushings at all when you installed yours? I know someone who has a press that I can use so hopefully that will help. As far as a spring compressor I heard that the Knechts auto parts store here in town rents tools.. we shall see. Now I just need to figure out if I need anything else with the struts. I'll try to search for some reviews on them later today. Thanks guys!

Sweet thanks.... Your car looks really nice. hmm now im reading Tokiko HP's are nice. So many choices.

Thanks, yea the sky is the limit when it comes to choosing what to do with your suspension. After everything was all said and done, I have probably $1200 into my setup.

tokico Honda | eBay

You'd be surprised what you can do for $500. There's a bunch of spring shock combos there for under five hundo. I had a Tokico package on my 97 Integra and liked it a lot. The shocks are good...slight performance increase and capable of being used with lowering springs and not blowing out, but not stiff enough to where you can't daily drive them.

I'd stick with a complete Tokico package, since that way you're getting springs matched to the shocks. The springs are nice too - you get about a 1.5" drop, which improves handling and looks immensely, but it's not low enough to where you need camber adjustors, at least not on the EG/DC chassis. Just make sure you get it aligned after the install.

And of course you can just buy those KYB GR-2s or whatever other stock replacements you want, but just wanted to let you know that you can actually upgrade to performance stuff for around the same price. To replace the shocks on these cars you have to remove and dissasemble everything anyway...might as well upgrade...

I would buy sensa-trac struts over gr2 if I was looking for an oem unit. Tokico does make some pretty nice units and as Brutal said you can get them fairly cheap on eBay.

Ok sweet.. thanks for the input. Now im leaning towards the Tokico HP's. Still not sure if Im gonna change the springs... but if I do im thinking about the H&R OE sport springs.. looks like they will lower the car about half an inch. If im reading this right those struts will work fine with either set up, correct?

Yeah, those struts should work fine with the H&R springs. I'm wondering though, are you worried about bottoming out? A 1/2" of lowering isn't going to be noticeable at all really. They're probably a little bit stiffer though, so they will at least corner better.

You could also look at the Eibach Pro-Kit springs if you want a mild drop that's a bit more visible. Those lower about an inch on most cars...

Yea these Civics ride so much better with an inch or two of drop and a sway bar upgrade. I've had guys with MUCH nicer cars than mine compliment me on the handling of my car and how fun it is to drive after they took it for a couple runs autocrossing.

Yeah a little bit i guess.. Ive never lowered a car and dont want to have to worry about speed bumps etc. Also Ive been reading about springs settling over time. Ive also read that if you lower the car you have to change the position of the bushings or something like that. Man Ive changed just about everything on a car now except struts so Im having to learn as I go.. thanks for the patience.

Unless you have GOLIATH speed bumps, there are no issues. No you don't have to change the location of the bushings. I lowered mine quite aways and the only thing that drags over speed bumps are my dumb mud flaps and that's only over the biggest of speed bumps.

Back