new surging problem when accelerating

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

muzeii

Car: EG with JDM b18c typer swap

Just started happening the other day. I drove to work in heavy rain, then when i went to leave work my car was idling really funny and when i got on the road i had horrible throttle response and my car struggles to accelerate.

I had a problem with my dizzy awhile back and was having a similar problem, diagnosed that my dizzy was giving out, I replaced everything on that side with new MSD products and the car has been running great since.

I can watch my dash lights dim and brighten while i'm driving as it's surging, I'm getting weird voltage readings as well off the alternator as it's idling funny, but other things could cause that. I'm wondering if it's giving out, and maybe it got wet while driving in the heavy rain, only thing is, I replaced the alternator about 5 months ago.

I pulled my plugs a few days ago and they all looked fine...

Then last night as I'm driving home (i've been limping it around) I noticed my exhaust gas temp rising really high, which would be normal if i was banging through gears on the freeway, but i was cruising at 35 in low rpm's....so now I'm thinking one of my cylinders is running really hot...

so maybe my injector(s) are getting clogged, the motor probably has around 100000 miles on it at this point and one of the things that has never been changed are the injectors...don't know the symptoms of clogged as i've never had a problem with them, but i'm not excited to pull them out at the moment if this doesn't sound like the problem.

sort of stumping me, i wasn't too worried about the surging as i could still get to work and back ok and was waiting for a good few days off to work on it. The exhaust temp jumping last night scared me though.

any thoughts?

bumping this as i'm still stuck.

-tested alternator, its fine
-replaced fuel injectors
-replaced clogged PCV valve
-cleaned and checked all sensors on throttle body
-can't find any vacuum leaks
-replaced fuel filter

next thing i'm thinking is the o2 sensor? I'm really running out of things to try here?

anyone, any suggestions would be great?

as u know, I am having a similar problem (with the exception of the lights dimming). First time, i replaced the O2 sensor and it fixed the problem. Second time, I replaced the O2 sensor again and it didn't fix the problem. good luck. My car has been sitting in the garage for about 7 months now because I can't figure this problem out.

ELD=electric load detector has caused the exact same problem with my hatch,higher than normal egt readings,surging the whole bit.I had to replace the whole fuse compartment under the hood as the eld is integrated into it.The 4 wire o2 sensors get their power for the heater directly from the eld so thats a connection for the problem to be o2 related.Depending on your make and model will determine where the eld is located. Most overlooked issue is that .Keep us posted on your outcome,

Last edited:
Back