New to b series

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

efalex

Im planning doing a b18a1 in my 2000 ex coupe.. I have the block and head, still need tranny, and everything else. I jus had a few questions. And yes i know the motors obd0 and from 1992 but i got it for 80 $$ soo who would pass that up. Anyways
1. Can i use the altinator and or starter from my d series?
2. In order for. Me to pass inspection cant i just get obd2 or 1 dizzy and altinator and run a obd2 computer?

Thank you all on hs for helping out

I am pretty sure that you cannot put an older motor in your car where you live and pass
inspection but I live in the strictest state. If you convert it all to run OBD2 and have no CEL's
and motor burns clean....you could just go smog it but the motor says B18A on the block. Might
work though.

You need a few things for sure. (you can do OBD1 but i say OBD2), ECU, Dizzy, Alt, mounts,
axles, the EX engine harness (without the VTEC...duh). Not sure if the plugs are the same but I
think its covered with the dizzy and alternator switch. I think if you change the intake to a
B18B....you'll get 10 extra hp. If this motor is JDM...the intake is different anyways (no Evap.
Purge Sol.)

I know this was a cheap thing intitially but its a venture of research and labor to get it done.
Oh...and I think I think you need to use the injectors too....like I said...just get a OBD2 LS
intake...hell the whole top end if you can find one cheap enough.

Thanks man. All they do is the obd2 plug

Correct me if im wrong tho

Obd1 dizzy, intake manni, alt and starter

And 96-98 99-00 jumper harness with a 00 ls computer

*8sold the ls harness today for 40 so i got my motor for 40 good fucken deal huh?

LMAO! WTF for sure.

There are a few ways to approach putting this motor into your car. One is going OBD1
conversion and use a jumper harness for an OBD2-OBD1 and have a OBD1 ECU. You say the
car is a 2000 so why do you need a conversion if you are using a 2000 LS ECU? I'm confused
on your post The other way I know is to convert everything on that motor to OBD2 (Dizzy/Al
/Injectors/Intake Man/ECU)

But my true opinion is this motor of yours with a 2000 civic is (at best) a spare bottom end with
some spare parts. The top end is okay and you could spend $$$ and have it ported/polished and
such but that's just not the 'smart' move to make. Putting this motor in your car will cost you at
least $700-800 bucks after you buy a transmission (at least $200 more if you want GSR trans),
Intake manifold, dizzy, alt, axles, ECU, shift linkage, mounts and other misc parts. Then you add
the cost for new timing belt, water pump, maybe oil pump, cam seals, dizzy cap/rotor, spark
plugs, etc etc. (and I think it is pretty inexperienced to think you can gamble on those parts being
'okay') That adds to around $250 maybe a little more.

Or you can buy an OBD2 B18B and throw it straight into your car....later turbo it and have an
extra bottom end...and head. But if spending a minimum $1000 to convert this into your car
seems too excessive for you and your current motor set up (like 'if it ain't broke, don't try to fix
it') I would come up with a new plan. I don't know how comfortable you are with these
mechanical conversions and this could become a big headache.

no i know. im not planning on buildiung it yet. i just want a stock ls for now. BUT one more question. i need to pass emissions. how do i do this with a obd0 motor in a obd2 car?! obd2 ls ecu? with a jumper harness REP + bro

not possible to pass visual (like I said earlier)
But you could get lucky if the place you take it to doesn't look to see its a B18A....
If he does see it and knows....it WILL NOT pass....PERIOD

So I think its a bad move....maybe get an OBD0 car? (hatchie or CRX?)
I truly think that the swap is a bad idea but its possible

THIS WILL COST A MINIMUM $1000.00 (Get a full swap for $600-800 more)

And the full swap WILL pass inspection (not sure if you have to REF though)

can some one tell me if and how i can wire my v tec selinoid so it is always on persay?

that is a great idea everyone should help get this done.
just cut the wires to your solenoid and run a new signal wire from an accesory in your fuse panel and run a ground that way when you turn your car on bang vtec. Maybe someone knows the colours of the wires to tell you which is ground and power.

Let us know how it turns out.

Last edited:
No! Super bad idea

VTEC lobes on the cam are for high rpm.....non-vtec lobes on the cam are for low rpm

No need to Eff with Honda engineering/wiring......dumb idea

Some ricers think that VTEC coming on at 4300 rpm is good too......no.

VTEC is a smooth transition...not to say it needs to stay stock but being
drastic about the engagement point is stupid. Its not a video game boost button.

Ok the only thing they do wen my car gets inspected is they plug it in the obd2 port. So i cant use my b18a1 motor, get a obd1 dizzy alt inkectors and starter then buy a obd1 to obd2 jumper harness and run a obd2 ls computer. Correct?

Jumper harness is at the ECUplugs....so no you need OBD2 ECU and other stuff....thats how I'ddo it but if you find other info and feel comfprtable with the mix of OBD2 and OBD1 stuff...go for it
Either way...your spending a cool grand

How do u get a grand? I have a garage and my buddy has the know how. I have a tiny bit.. Anyways
Tell me waht u think

Obd0 motor
Obd2 ecu, and dizzy

Alternator and injector plugs too.

A grand.....that's the $1000.00 you'll spend after that stuff and the mounts/axles/shift linkage
Oh....and the transmission

i dont want to hardwire the v tec ,but i can seem to find the problem so i was going to try it just to see if it would work.will it hurt my engine???

Back