New to engine swap and Honda. Need help please and thank you.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kambo

Ok. Bought my first honda it's a 1999 Honda Prelude base model. H22a4 automatic transmission (Don't judge manual users) has a rodknock. Heard f20B is literally plug and play but don't believe it. My first engine swap ever. Is there a step by step guide? Or can I just drop the engine in and use the h22a ecu and plug it right up? Thank you.

lol first off with 90s hondas and even to todays standards the manual is far superior to not only make power but for gearing , 2nd yes it is a direct swap motor physically but it does use a different ecu and has less power, have fresh rod bearings installed in your current motor or buy another H22 , H22 is a better motor

lol first off with 90s hondas and even to todays standards the manual is far superior to not only make power but for gearing , 2nd yes it is a direct swap motor physically but it does use a different ecu and has less power, have fresh rod bearings installed in your current motor or buy another H22 , H22 is a better motor
I'm making it my regular daily. I have a manual project car. (89 Supra) so I know all about the manual life. I'll look into bearing replacement if it's cheap if not I'll just continue with the swap

if you have a h22 it legit is dumb to swap to a f22.... seriously ..... also 89 poopra non turbo is a overweight slow pig lol

Dam the trash talk is real. I know it's over weight I love restoring an old car to it's Glory days.
lol im stating facts about the supra lol... .... anyways seriously though its stupid to put the f22 in the spot of the h22 ....

Well, it depends on which F20 we're talking about. There is a dual-cam, VTEC F20B that's basically a destroked H22. Horsepower's about the same, slightly less torque. If you can get one of those for cheap, it would be a decent replacement for the H22. If it's a non-VTEC dual cam or single cam though, then yeah, it's going to be disappointing compared to the H22.

he also from understanding doesnt have a dohc f20b vtec he said HE HEARD its plug and play, if auto id say best bang for buck personally would be to like I said throw rod bearings in existing and if not replace with another usdm h22 , IMO

Well, it depends on which F20 we're talking about. There is a dual-cam, VTEC F20B that's basically a destroked H22. Horsepower's about the same, slightly less torque. If you can get one of those for cheap, it would be a decent replacement for the H22. If it's a non-VTEC dual cam or single cam though, then yeah, it's going to be disappointing compared to the H22.
Its the vtec one. I just don't know ow where to find the harness to adapt to the h22 ecu

lol it doesnt need adapters if its the same OBD generation, do you have emissions in your area ? if soo literally forget about swapping it

Back