1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to Honda need some help!

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> EG-EK / DC' started by cnys14, Dec 23, 2003.

1. cnys14

cnys14 Junior Member

Ok so I know my VW's And Nissans, but have no idea what the hell is going on with Hondas. Im thinking about picking up a 97 ex civic. Now swaping in an LS motor is it worth the gains and what is involved with the swap. I tried a search but didnt come up with what i was looking for. Also having an Ex that ahs the sohc Vtec in it. What kinda hp is possible for a low budget. No F.I. all motor. Will a Vtec controller do anything really? I have no idea thats why im asking this crap..... haha.. I know it can make vtec engage at different rpms, right? So in theory i could make vtec engage at like 3500 and it would make acceleartion faster. Are there any tranny swap with shorter gears etc that are common? Help me out here I know nothing but VR6's and Sr20's ;)

2. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

LS swap is worth it, LS is not vtec, engaging vtec at different points(especially sooner) usually makes you lose power. Low budget Hp around 35hp.

3. cnys14

cnys14 Junior Member

I knew the LS wasnt vtec, so having the vtec engage sooner would loose ya some power? Why is that? Isnt the vtec when the car starts to rev harder and faster? It just makes sence to me for it to be doing that sooner... haha told ya I knew nothing...What is involved with the Ls swap...? Obviously the motor, and tranny alot of wiring? and do i need new mounts etc? is there a site that discusses an LS swap specifically into an Ek chassis? :worthy:

4. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

5. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

6. jamesA

jamesA Well known pissed off telephone guy VIP

I love howstuffworks.com. :D

7. dohcvtec_accord

dohcvtec_accord WRX Sellout

:woo:

8. cnys14

cnys14 Junior Member

ok so that was very interesting.... so which is a better platform for me to start with......... A. 96 Acura Integra with B18b, or B. 97 Honda Civic ex with the Sohc vtec motor? :unsure: im thinking the integra.. it has more hp and alot more torque. and couldnt I put on a vtec head?

9. E_SolSi

E_SolSi Member of the 20 nut club Moderator VIP

the B18B has lots of potential even if you dont put a VTEC head on it
    you could easily swap out the engine in the civic for something with more power as well
    so just pick the car that you like more
    engines are not that big of a deal :)

10. korey

korey Senior Member

I agree, I am putting an LS motor into my '97 civic and I am not putting a Vtec head on either. The LS motor has lots of potential, alot more than people give it. Also, it is a unique swap in that alot of people dont do it or go for Vtec ( i.e. LS/Vtec) Personally, I would give a thumbs up if anyone else would do this swap.

11. B18C1civic96

B18C1civic96 Member

your right a thumbs up in acrx or a hatch not a 96-01 2door your car is to heavy

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted