New to Honda need some help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

cnys14

Ok so I know my VW's And Nissans, but have no idea what the hell is going on with Hondas. Im thinking about picking up a 97 ex civic. Now swaping in an LS motor is it worth the gains and what is involved with the swap. I tried a search but didnt come up with what i was looking for. Also having an Ex that ahs the sohc Vtec in it. What kinda hp is possible for a low budget. No F.I. all motor. Will a Vtec controller do anything really? I have no idea thats why im asking this crap..... haha.. I know it can make vtec engage at different rpms, right? So in theory i could make vtec engage at like 3500 and it would make acceleartion faster. Are there any tranny swap with shorter gears etc that are common? Help me out here I know nothing but VR6's and Sr20's ;)

LS swap is worth it, LS is not vtec, engaging vtec at different points(especially sooner) usually makes you lose power. Low budget Hp around 35hp.

I knew the LS wasnt vtec, so having the vtec engage sooner would loose ya some power? Why is that? Isnt the vtec when the car starts to rev harder and faster? It just makes sence to me for it to be doing that sooner... haha told ya I knew nothing...What is involved with the Ls swap...? Obviously the motor, and tranny alot of wiring? and do i need new mounts etc? is there a site that discusses an LS swap specifically into an Ek chassis? :worthy:

ok so that was very interesting.... so which is a better platform for me to start with......... A. 96 Acura Integra with B18b, or B. 97 Honda Civic ex with the Sohc vtec motor? :unsure: im thinking the integra.. it has more hp and alot more torque. and couldnt I put on a vtec head?

the B18B has lots of potential even if you dont put a VTEC head on it
you could easily swap out the engine in the civic for something with more power as well
so just pick the car that you like more
engines are not that big of a deal :)

I agree, I am putting an LS motor into my '97 civic and I am not putting a Vtec head on either. The LS motor has lots of potential, alot more than people give it. Also, it is a unique swap in that alot of people dont do it or go for Vtec ( i.e. LS/Vtec) Personally, I would give a thumbs up if anyone else would do this swap.

Back