new to obd1!!!!!!!!!!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

the car has no problem starting and running???
the problem is that it stutters after about 5000rpms..and i do not think vtec is working..\
i still do not know the correct wiring for it either.

If VTEC isn't working check the ECU first, then secondly check a wiring diagram off this site or google.ca. Thirdly, take the valve cover off and see if the 14mm bolt is tight, if not you will have no VTEC oil pressure. Also, do you have the D16a6 block with a D16y8 head mated to it?, if so did you take out the oil control jet in the D16a6 block?. That would be almost essential.

its a full blown d16z6..not a minime..
what 14mm bolt are you talking about??
why would my car be spuutering if just vtec wasnt working?

Because you said it was sputtering at 5000rpm, VTEC kicks in at I believe 4,500 rpm. Does this problem start under 5000rpm?. If so, try checking your fuel injectors to see if they're clogged at all.

yes it sputters around 4500 too...but its real bad at about 5k...
im going to pull the injectors today and see if any of them arent flowing as well

That would be your best bet, also take the VTEC solenoid off and check the screen in it to see if it is clogged!.
screen had absolutely nothing on it..i took it all apart and cleaned everything..put it all back together and still runs like shit..
im pulling the injectors in a couple mins.so we will see..
i dont know if this would cause it but im wondering if the size of my intake tubing and the size of my filter is maybe starving it for air in the upper rpms????????????

Do you have a short ram air intake or a cold air intake?. You just did a swap, so make sure everything is right and check your distributor timing as well as your timing belt for deficiencies.

I do not know if distributor timing or camshaft timing would be bad at those rpms though. I think the timing follows all the way through. I would check anyway though. I will be able to tell you in 37 weeks when I'm done my Automotive Service Technician course. Cannot effing wait!.

belt timing is dead on,dizzy timing is fine too...
i did not do this swap,thats why i dont know whats going on..i traded my car for this car already like this..im running a short ram intake..im going to try pulling the filter off and running it..
i just soaked the injectors in some parts cleaner...so hopefully itll run fine..

after soaking the injectors it runs a little bit better..still dont know if im hitting vtec..im going to wire up an led to see if its hitting..which wire do i need to splice into??
the wire from the solenoid or the wire from the OPS???

also if my dizzy is about to go bad would it affect how it runs on the top end???
or if i dont have the correct dizzy would it do the same?

ok so i hooked up a light to the vtec solenoid..and drove the car..vtec is hitting at 5200..but at that same point is when the car starts sputtering..can someone please help me!!!!
im stumped as to what could be the problem..
car runs string until 5200,vtec kicks in and it sputters

Do you have the red light "self-checking" diagnosis computer, because if you do you are running an OBD0 ECU. I am just wondering how you know it is not throwing codes; I have have an OBD1 ECU and I will not know how to read codes.

if its throwing a code. the CEL will be on..its an obd1 ecu..its p28
cel only comes on when i start the car(which is normal)

in my h22 it didnt through a code. witch made it really hard to figure out. didnt find out till i had it tuned. that and the "iat" was also unpluged.

Back