New to site, and this Accord

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

amc3000

Hey, new to site and thought id post my question. I just picked up a 92' Accord that has been dropped on KYB shocks, Aerospeed coilovers, and some kind of springs. It is a pretty firm ride. Last night i noticed a terrible sound from up front on the passenger side. Took wheel off and noticed that there was this big rubber grommet deal just hanging from the top of the strut. Took that off. Then noticed there was about a 2" gap between the top of the spring and the top of the spring resting place. I will try to get some pictures. Also, with the car on a jack, im able to just use my hands and can lift up on the rotor and can compress the shock. To me, it seems the shock is blown. I checked the other side, and there is no gap. The spring is all the way up into the tower, and i cannot compress the shock.

Any ideas?

BTW- to put this back stock, or to just add some lowering springs, wouldnt all i have to do is, is take out those coilover sleeves and the spring, and just put in the new spring? Sorry, first time accord lowerer.

You'd have to take out the entire shock/spring assembly, use a spring compressor to decompress the spring, unscrew the top hat and take it off, and then mount the top hat onto the new shock/spring assembly, and then mount it where the old one was.

Or you could just buy new top hats and not worry about taking the old ones apart. You'll probably still need a spring compressor though...

The springs on your car are compressed. You can't simply unfasten the top plate and take them off. Once you got the nut off the spring would decompress and either shoot itself or shoot the shock (depending on how you're holding it in place) and potentially injure/kill you or someone else, or put the a hole in the wall of your garage.

You need to buy some spring compressors, which are basically just clamps that you fasten onto the spring which hold it in place while you remove the top plate from the assembly. Then you can slowly decompress the spring so it isn't dangerous.

Spring compressors only cost about $30 at an auto parts store, but if this sounds over your head then just take it to mechanic. If you're not confident that you can do this yourself, don't even try it...

Back