New to Site

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bad-News

What up all
i got a 96 Ls which recently got stolen. The good news is it was found 2 days later. So currently im having the insurance adjuster figure out how much the car is worth. The Ls motor has 160,000 on it and i was thinking of either doing a B18C/B16Vtec swap or an Ls vtec. what option is better and why, also i work at an acura dealer so i can get some or most parts at cost.
than:confused::confused::confused:x

I say b18c1. a gsr motor would do nicely in your engine bay. Do not do the b16. In the end, do what you want, and not what someone else wants. As long as you like it, nobody else will matter. A turbo setup would be nice, but if you are on here asking us what you should do, it will probably cost you more than you are willing to spend. Go with the gsr motor - it's a great platform, and there is tons of room for improvement.

Its really up to you. Everyone has a different vision of how their car should be. Are you trying to min and max? Minimum input with maximum gain? Are you happy with simple bolt ons or do you want to make ungodly amounts of horsepower or something in the middle of the road? How do you see yourself using your car?

This is what I am doing for mine. I plan to do a full internal upgrade for my b17 and then slap a turbo with a mild boost to get up to 190-200hp. I want mine to have the reliability of a stock setting but have a bit more of a kick than factory spec'd GS-R.

Just keep in mind, there are ways that are just more efficient than others to reach your goal. Example, if you are going to do a full internal upgrade eventual, then just save up to have everything done at once. Or just buy the parts one by one then install them when you have everything.

There is my 2 cents for you. :D

The gsr is nice but if you want to rebuild your ls go with the golden eagle vtec conversion kit and get a brand new head at almost cost. It will put out more power than the gsr stock to stock. Plus, it also makes a great platform for boost. Whats up bergy.

Plus, its reliable. As long as you do it right. You also need to change other parts. As you probably already know its not just throwing a vtec head on an ls block. You need a different oil pump i think and a new water pump.

He's got a good point. I did not know about that particular upgrade route. thumbs up for that suggestion. :D

LS vtec is great, but absolutely not needed if you are going to turbocharge. You'll get a lot better prices on stuff online rather than from the dealer you work for. A good gsr head goes for around 500-600, and a b16 head goes for around 400-500. If you do an ls/vtec, do yourself a service and freshen up the bottom end with a new set of piston rings, ARP rod bolts w/a resizing, and an obd2 b18 oil pump, as well as a vtec water pump. Check bearing tolerances and replace bearings if they are needed. A good multiangle valve job is a good way to make more power as well, regardless of the engine you choose.

I still say go the gsr, as it is the best platform to start with, geometry wise, and headwise.

Back