new to swaps. need help.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

99 SI? Isnt that a factory B16? Just boost the motor thats in it now instead of wasting money on a swap.

I would tend to agree with this. Why not just swap the block out for an LS/GSR and boost on what you already have?

Ya, what good could possibly come from swapping a GSR for a B16? It's like a 10 hp difference. I can think of a thousand cheaper bolt ons that will net you the same power. Take the $1500 you will spend on a decent GSR and put into mods for your B16. Easier, cheaper, win win...

well i thought about modding the b16a2 stk motor i got.but really the motor has 200,xxx miles on it. its still running strong and not smoking or making any noises.i just wanted to go w/a bigger motor that could produce more power.i could boost it,but i would in the future i think it would run into probs.i just dont want to hassle w/rebuilding it.thx for the heads up guyz.

Take the head off, send it to a machine shop for a rebuild and street-level port n' polish, plus any after-market parts you'd like to add (cams, valve-train, etc.). While that's being done, source yourself a clean, low mileage LS or GS-R block. Put freshly re-built and beefed up head onto the new 1.8 liter block. Done. Add boost if desired.

Seriously though, if you plan to boost in the future I'd probably skip the Type R swap. The Type R engines are designed to be high-revving N/A screamers. In factory form they're not really suited for boost...

Back