new to this

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

i just bought a 1991 crx all stock i have around 6,000 to spend on upgrades where should i start?

Performance upgrades? I would stick a B series in there to start with it's the biggest power upgrade for the money.

Well if you haven't spent some time working on cars an engine swap might not be a good idea to try yourself.. but it's really not super difficult if you have the tools and a repair manual.

As far as the B16b it's really an overpriced engine compared to what else you can get. Check out Specializing in JDM-USDM Engines & Parts...hmotorsonline.com for some ideas if you are still considering an engine swap. Any of the B series complete changeovers will work for you with a couple additional parts.

what about a mechanic i really dont know where to start it has 98,000 miles so what perfomance upgrades or parts should i try i only have like 6,000 bucks left

Well take it from me and most of the people here and start with suspension and tires. You will get alot more out of suspension than a bunch of boltons when it comes to the driving experience. For a well rounded setup, I recommend the Tein basic dampers.

For wheels I feel like 15" is a good balance. There are plenty of factory honda and acura wheels that fit the bill. Stay away from anything larger than 16" if you want the most out of your car.

True suspension does make a big difference in terms of all around driving enjoyment. That will give you time to research your performance options as well before you make a decision.

I would wait on those until you decide if you want to swap engines or not because if you do decide to do a swap after buying those parts they might not work with the swap.

smart thinkin what problems would a new engine cause in an old car i found a B16b2 for around 3,500 it has only 5,000 tester miles on it i could pay for it an labor but i would have like only a grand left then what?

i just found a 1996 B18C Type-R DOHC VTEC 5 speed trans for 3,900 not bad at all/does anyone know where i could get cheap perfomance parts in dallas texas or close to that area

Thoes motors are obd-2, and your car is obd-0. It can get tricky with
the wiring, luckly, companies like rywire sells conversion harnesses
that are plug and play. You will still have to run the wiring for vtec,
and knock sensor. For ease of install and for alot less money, I'd go
for a 1st gen b16. You could get everything for around 2-2.5k shipped.
It just won't be as powerful as the motors you listed.<br>

good advice i know nothing about cars this infact is my first i hated cars ubtill i saw my crx the i thought about performance upgrades but idont know where to get the most power and depenability where would you start on a stock 91 crx with 98,000 miles i have no idea im not into cosmetics i want some street cred

Well I would first get yourself educated and not totally rely on a mechanic to do everything. I would recommend surfing through the referance section here. So you want dependability. In that case, I think your best bet would be to keep it simple and stay away from forced induction, nitrous, or heavy all motor. A simple b-series swap will retain the car's dependability and give the car the swift kick in the pants it needs.

Like I said before, go for a 1st gen b16 swap. http://hmotorsonline.com/shop/sc2000search.cgi?what=page&item=30002
You could have it shipped and in your car for under 2 grand. That swap has been done 8957389058738905 times, and its a direct bolt in, and wires right up with little trouble. No worrying about obd issues. Then get a decent suspension setup, and put the rest of the money towards something truely worthwhile (i.e. not in a car).

okay you said 1st gen right what about a B16a 1st gen DOHC VTEC 5 speed trans for 1,500 i would still have over 3,000 including shipping whats after the swap?

Intake, Exhaust, Header.

Make the car handle

what about a turbo i can get a used one for real cheap any specific 1 I should take a look at what kind of intake/exhaust should i look into i know nothing where can i study up on performance cars and parts?

I already said this but here, I'll give you a link: Technical Articles and Reference - HondaSwap Forums
Sort throught that stuff and teach yourself.

You said earlier you want a dependable car. No non-factory turbo/supercharged car is going to be reliable out of the box, I would know. As for exhaust, go 2 1/4" for N/A or 2.5" - 3" for turbo. As for the intake, get cheap piping off ebay and just slap a nice K&N on the end.

thanks alot that sounds great about how much is the labor if i want to swap my engine for the B16

no clue... ask a reputable tuner shop. Or better yet, rent an engine hoist and do it yourself. Its not that hard.

Back