1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to turbo

Discussion in 'Forced Induction' started by mck26, Mar 16, 2004.

1. mck26

mck26 Junior Member

im new to turbo so i just have a few questions before i do what i plan on doing. I want to turbo my B16 motor. i plan on using stock rods with ARP rod bolts and GSR pistons that would yield a 9:1 CR in a B16. also keeping the head stock and the stock redline of 8200 rpm. is this enough strength down the bottom end for a daily driver of 6, 7, or 8 psi? also my only fuel upgrades was going to be a 12:1 FMU and 280cc injectors instead of the 240 stocks. is this adequate because i dont plan on boosting more in the near future? also would an exedy stage 1 clutch be enough holding power for this power of roughly 230 flywheel?
    my turbo setup is going to be a custom pieced together setup of T3 turbo and the rest of the parts just letting you know.

2. NotUrAverage_Si

NotUrAverage_Si Senior Member

GSR pistons in a b16 will yield a 9:1 compression ratio? I've never heard that.

3. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

gsr pistons in a b16 will drop you to 8.75:1(usdm) or 9.2:1 (jdm)
    8.7 is way to freakin low if you want to have any fun.
    if you run the 280's, make sure you get a FPR to tune them down a hair

4. NotUrAverage_Si

well you learn something new everyday. :)

5. mck26

mck26 Junior Member

so are you saying i should just leave the stock 240s in there. i do have a fpr anyway but just asking. also what about the bottom end strength and the clutch holding power? thanks

6. Citizen_Insane

Citizen_Insane Senior Member

you should be able to run a lot more than 8psi on a b16 with 9.2:1 comp. I have heard many times here that you can run 7-9psi on a STOCK b16....with 10.2:1 comp.

7. NotUrAverage_Si

the motor won't last long without proper tuning.

8. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

its all in the tuning.

some folks make 300 whp on stock motors reliably for years
    some folks blow up on 200 whp built motors in a month.

90% of bottom ends that blow up do so because of detonation. detonation is 100% caused by improper tuning, either fuel or ignition (or, say bad/wrong octane gas).

5% are mostly from boost spikes, which in turn, make the motor run too lean, and thus, detonate.

and the other 5% comes from shit just letting go. be it oil pumps, a weak rod, etc. all things break.
    half-assing the fuel setup is the worst thing you can do.

PSI is irrelevant to power for the most part. each turbo is so very different. saying 6 psi is meaningless.

6 psi out of a t25 is like 30 horsepower (figure of speach)
    6 psi out of a t999 is like 3000 horsepower (figure of speach)

turbos compress air. the larger the turbo, generally, the more dense a given volume of space is. more density = more air in 1 given uint of space. how MUCH (volume (cfm) ) air gets in is what makes the power. The RESISTANCE (pressure (psi) ) as measured at the map sensor, is technically, the air NOT getting in, or what's fighting it to get in.

you suggest a T3. that's fine, but there's at least 1000 T3's on the market. some are small, some are pretty large, and some even have a 60-1 wheel in the compressor.
    If you're going for a smaller t3, like a t03 .42/.48, i think you will be more than fine with the stock 240s, the missing link (or other map bypass check valve) and the 12:1 fmu.
    If you're going for a larger T3, like a t03 .63/.63, i would then suggest running the 280's, the missing link, and the 12:1 fmu
    if you're going for a t03/60-1, i suggest making the jump to a hondata system, or uberdata, etc along with some 440 cc injectors and some dyno time to tune it in with a tuner.

As for clutch, I'd at least go to the stage 2, and the stage 3 if you are going for the larger turbo.

9. pissedoffsol

pissedoffsol RETIRED

also, all those setups assume you have upgraded to a larger intake pump, or at least an inline booster for the small turbo.

if the fuel can't get to the rail, you detonate- regardless of what the injector is calling for

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted