New toy for the car

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I really never use the heater because it doesn't really get cold enough here in Fl.

the best solution will be to run a SSD but those still cost a bundle. the next best would be to get an active cooling solution like a hard drive cooler or a custom rig like a cage and mount a fan on it.

if it was me, id probably fab a bracket to mount a 120mm yate loon fan on it. these fans run like $4-6 each are very quiet and efficient at cooling. then mount it under the glove box or leg area of the passenger side. easy of access to hard drive would be ideal because:

a) usually means more airflow because no crammed somewhere
b) hard drives are usually first thing to fail from a system

All finished there is a vid right here and some pics. Let me know what you think.

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

DSC02114.jpg

DSC02115.jpg

DSC02116.jpg

Assuming you don't have reliability problems, that looks really friggin slick dude. Almost factory.

How do you handle frequent startup/shutdown? Shut the computer down before you turn off the car?

The power supply has a time delay built in. I turn the car on and it sends a signal to the motherboard like hitting the power button. When the car is turned off it waits(I have it set to 5 secs) and send the signal again. It takes about 20 secs to start and less time to shut down. With the delay if the car did die it doesn't take more than 5 secs to turn the car off and then try to start it again.

That's really awesome. Nice work on the integration. I think I personally would rather have a power button on the dash somewhere so I could leave the system off if I were just driving down to the store or something.

I can't find the pics of the car I did this to for a friend. It's nice in theory but after I drove the car for a week I just wanted a plain radio again. Too much of a PITA to grab the stylus and try and dbl click the monitor to select songs or change volume while driving! Just my .02 anyway.

The install is nice and clean!! :)

I'm going to put a pot under the a/c controls to adjust the volume and as far as the stylus, I don't really need it I was just using it. I have WMP on shuffle and I just hit the next button with my finger. It doesn't bother me having it start everytime I get in because it doesn't take long for it to finish loading. So far I love having it in the car. I was just riding around with a friend and he was just playing super mario bros. 3 the whole time.

Thanks I love it so far. I got the pot installed and it works pretty good, it's got an on/off switch built in for like "mute".

Back