new toys for the comp :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

posol

RETIRED
welp, i finally did it... i broke down and bought a DVD burner. lol

it supports both + and - r/rw and the dual-layer +r formats.

bought some blank -r's (couldn't find any dual layer +r's for a reasonable price...) and i also got an external usb/firewire hard drive.

as you may rememebr, my 200gb maxtor took a shit on me... so im ripping that out... keeping my 60gb primary drive, and i'm going to use the external drive for all my files.

its pretty neat :)

has some back-up software, and also acts as a usb hub :) so, i can get another one or 5 and plug 'em in daisy chained :)

all for $300 bucks out the door.

gallery_1_88_1107317931.jpg

nice....... i need to upgrade my presario 58888..........but i dont have the slightest idea on what to buy or what to do..........i think if i start learning more about new tech i might forget how to work on my car...lol

now you can make me some copie of your intire DVD collection :)

:ph34r:

:thumbsup: I'm in need of a new build and this stuff looks like primary parts.

Keep me posted on how well they run installed. this 1.0ghz is killing me and the 30gb is full.

I have that same exact hard drive... on sale at christmas time for $130. I am pleased with it but the only thing is that when i try to access it through my computer it seems to be a little slow. I mean my computer is no bitch 3.06 p4, 40 internal/160 extenal hard drive, 512 ram :D it just seems to slow down for a second. But well worth the money. Congrats B.

looks good man! i just recently bought an internal western digital 160 gb drive that they had on sale at Sam's CLub of all places for 80 bucks.

I was going to buy that exact same dvd burner. It is on NewEgg.com for under $70 shipped. Mmmmm... 16x burning =)
I'm also considering on getting the new HP burner that burns a label, too. I don't know when that comes out, though.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 1 2005, 09:27 PM
welp, i finally did it... i broke down and bought a DVD burner. lol

it supports both + and - r/rw and the dual-layer +r formats.

bought some blank -r's (couldn't find any dual layer +r's for a reasonable price...) and i also got an external usb/firewire hard drive.

as you may rememebr, my 200gb maxtor took a shit on me... so im ripping that out... keeping my 60gb primary drive, and i'm going to use the external drive for all my files.

its pretty neat :)

has some back-up software, and also acts as a usb hub :) so, i can get another one or 5 and plug 'em in daisy chained :)

all for $300 bucks out the door.

gallery_1_88_1107317931.jpg

[post=454890]Quoted post[/post]​

LOL!!! I have the exact same DVD burner!!

plextor or nec for me all the way, I've seen to many lite-on drives fail in under 1 year

I've also got a 120GB external firewire drive, and an internal 120GB + 80GB and I still need more room.

well ill be god damned.

so i reboot like the software install tells me to for the driver for the usb.
on boot up, i enter some sort of check disk, but it wasn't check disk. i've never seen it before.

it took like an hour...

but when windows finally loaded, my 200gb drive was RESTORED!!!!!!!!!
all my music is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was like, get the fuck out of here!

there must've been some error on the disk and finally windows found it. this is not the first time i've rebooted either.

but, needless to say, i still don't trust the drive, so i'm going to move most of it to my external :)

haven't installed the burner yet- probably will do that tonight.

now, i need to get an in-dash DVD player.... with no screen :) i just want 4.7GB of mp3's on a single disk. wooohooo :p

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 2 2005, 09:09 AM

now, i need to get an in-dash DVD player.... with no screen :) i just want 4.7GB of mp3's on a single disk. wooohooo :p
[post=455023]Quoted post[/post]​

ha, exactly the same thing i said, can't find one though.. i hear they should be out soon. 16x kicks ass huh? ;) dont fret your in the same boat as me, can't find any decent priced duel layer media.. soon i hear in a month or so they releaseing the next one so that should drive the media price down.

but still 9.2 gigs a disk, thats a lot of MP3's lol

dont burn @ full speed with light on they do tend to fail they have faulty cradles but wont admit they are a defect and they blame it on abuse or over use ( i burned close to 5,000 cds on myne in a year) but i got another one dirt cheap and burned at lower speeds and it has lasted alot longer- but same goes for any burner over use will cause it to fail ive replaced over 5 burners for my dad- and end up reformating his computer once a week cause he fucking sucks - but just a heads up brian- but im sure it will last you atleast a year and burn what ever you might need- just make sure you are using the right burning program for the task!

well thats good- im still learning how to burn different things and i had a dvd burner for a year now

Did it look anything like this?

20040208-hard-disk-crash-chkdsk-windows-unreadable.jpg

That's still chkdsk, but WinXP is just running it in console mode.

And yeah, double layer media is still like $13 per disk, it's nuts. It should come down hopefully, as long as the RIAA dosen't tax them like they do 'music cd's' :angry:

that jvc player looks like something i'm after.

-R format...
good price
decent power
full-featured for a basic system.

Originally posted by DarkHand@Feb 2 2005, 10:45 AM
Did it look anything like this?
[post=455057]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm not an idiot dude. lol

it was the same consoel thing--- but it was like a boxed in interface. kind alike how win2k does chckdisk and such... white border, dos box kinda deal... only this one was blue.

in all my years, i've never seen anything quite like it.

i wonder if it was a feature of the sandra sisoft shit i loaded a week ago....

Back