new toys for the comp :)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Originally posted by Prowler@Feb 2 2005, 10:31 AM
Check this out. It's being released this month. I'm considering it for my lcd screen so I can watch movies w/o having to hook up my PS2 all the time.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-C34kZnezLlz/c...fo&i=257KDDV510
[post=455049]Quoted post[/post]​

damn ive been looking for something like that for a good week. good find, not too pricey either.

aye B might want to check the one you're looking at. it says MP3s on CDR/RW discs. when i was searching for a dvd player for mp3 discs those were all i can find. the JVC is the only one ive seen that specically says itll play mp3's on DVD discs.

I need one of those external hard drives myself. My whole 27gb is about up.
How much did that cost ya?

Originally posted by pissedoffsol+Feb 2 2005, 11:56 AM-->
@Feb 2 2005, 10:45 AM
Did it look anything like this?
[post=455057]Quoted post[/post]​

i'm not an idiot dude. lol

it was the same consoel thing--- but it was like a boxed in interface. kind alike how win2k does chckdisk and such... white border, dos box kinda deal... only this one was blue.

in all my years, i've never seen anything quite like it.

i wonder if it was a feature of the sandra sisoft shit i loaded a week ago....
[post=455061]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd put my money on the sandra sisoft

circuit city has that jvc deck for $279 shipped. :woo:

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 2 2005, 09:09 AM
now, i need to get an in-dash DVD player.... with no screen :) i just want 4.7GB of mp3's on a single disk. wooohooo :p
[post=455023]Quoted post[/post]​

Trust me, it kicks ass. I stuffed 30 Essentials on one DVD. SIXTY HOURS of music and tossed it in there. Didn't look at the disc for weeks.

My DVD player was a Power Acoustik that I got off of eBay for 130 dollars shipped. Didn't have a screen but had the option for one of course. I also chose that unit for the coax digital out for DTS decoding,

DAMN 300????? that is a lot.. 170 for a maxtor 160gb firewire/usb from zipzoomfly.. 90 for a plextor shipped from newegg after rebate. and 50 dvd+R for 20 at best buy.

Originally posted by CRX-YEM+Feb 2 2005, 07:57 AM-->
plextor or nec for me all the way, I've seen to many lite-on drives fail in under 1 year

I've also got a 120GB external firewire drive, and an internal 120GB + 80GB and I still need more room.
[post=455020]Quoted post[/post]​

Plextor >>>>>> *
NEC is good, but even NEC >>>>>>>> Lite-On

The Plextor 16x is only $70 after rebates if you get it from Best Buy right now- $30 from BB and $30 from Plextor after a $130 price tag.

pissedoffsol
@Feb 2 2005, 09:02 AM
well, the -R's that i got are only good for 1-8X anyway. :) so i won't be hitting 16x just yet.
[post=455035]Quoted post[/post]​

Nah- the Plextor will burn 16x on 8x media just fine. Just make sure you get Fujifilm DVD+Rs, and make sure you only get packages that say "Made in Japan" on them. That way you can be sure that you're getting real Taiyo Yuden media. Everything coming out of Taiwan in terms of media really stinks. Taiyo Yuden and Mitsui >>>>> *.

Originally posted by Sabz5150@Feb 2 2005, 07:39 PM
My DVD player was a Power Acoustik that I got off of eBay for 130 dollars shipped. Didn't have a screen but had the option for one of course. I also chose that unit for the coax digital out for DTS decoding,
[post=455471]Quoted post[/post]​

The PADVD-740R? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...ssPageName=WDVW

Also, would this unit work as a standalone? Meaning, could it reasonably replace my Sony CDX-M800 head unit? Or it is a pile that works well enough for playing dvd's but nothing else?

Originally posted by Prowler+Feb 3 2005, 02:08 AM-->
@Feb 2 2005, 07:39 PM

Also, would this unit work as a standalone? Meaning, could it reasonably replace my Sony CDX-M800 head unit? Or it is a pile that works well enough for playing dvd's but nothing else?
[post=455687]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't expect the world from it, it is a bargain system. It is a standalone AM/FM CD, DVD, MP3 player. It does not need a screen to work. It will play mp3's off of DVD-R's. There is no fancy graphics on the headunit, just a simple display for showing tracks and what mode it is in.

If you want an inexpensive headunit that does what it does and nothing else, then get the PADVD. If you want more features, fancy graphics, etc etc, then go with another unit.

My only two requirments like I said were the coax digital out and the mp3 capabilities. Didn't care about it being snazzy.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Feb 3 2005, 11:13 AM
what kind of car amp do you plug a digital coax into? i've yet to see one...
[post=455764]Quoted post[/post]​

I don't plug it into an amp. I plug it into my DTS decoder. The amps get plugged into it. One for front/rear, one for center, one for subwoofer.

Sherwood's XDTS-80. It's a half din 5.1 DTS/SRS Circle surround processor.

newdin.jpg

Originally posted by Battle Pope@Feb 3 2005, 11:26 AM
5.1 in your car. You're the shit, Sabz. :lol:
[post=455772]Quoted post[/post]​

It sounds incredible. Six discrete channels at 96khz sampling rate. It has SRS simulated surround for normal music/dvd's but sometimes it gets confused with the voices and drowns them out to the back.

The whole setup cost less than $1000, including the 7.2 inch flipdown going in there soon. Not bad.

Originally posted by Sabz5150+Feb 3 2005, 09:52 AM-->
Originally posted by Prowler@Feb 3 2005, 02:08 AM
Sabz5150

Don't expect the world from it, it is a bargain system. It is a standalone AM/FM CD, DVD, MP3 player. It does not need a screen to work. It will play mp3's off of DVD-R's. There is no fancy graphics on the headunit, just a simple display for showing tracks and what mode it is in.

If you want an inexpensive headunit that does what it does and nothing else, then get the PADVD. If you want more features, fancy graphics, etc etc, then go with another unit.

My only two requirments like I said were the coax digital out and the mp3 capabilities. Didn't care about it being snazzy.
[post=455758]Quoted post[/post]​

That unit displays the information on a hooked up lcd, correct?

Also, can it fully replace my sony unit? I need something that I can hook up my 2 amps to. It needs to sound decent but I dont care about a fancy eq. Just play the radio, cds, mp3 dvd's, and movie dvds.

Originally posted by Prowler+Feb 4 2005, 04:49 PM-->
Originally posted by Sabz5150@Feb 3 2005, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Prowler@Feb 3 2005, 02:08 AM
Sabz5150

[post=455758]Quoted post[/post]​

That unit displays the information on a hooked up lcd, correct?

Also, can it fully replace my sony unit? I need something that I can hook up my 2 amps to. It needs to sound decent but I dont care about a fancy eq. Just play the radio, cds, mp3 dvd's, and movie dvds.
[post=456586]Quoted post[/post]​

The screen stays blank until you put a disc in, then it acts like a DVD player. If you are talking about displaying info like more higher end decks do, then no.

It will play all the above. It has two video outputs, one audio/video input, preamps for front, rear and subwoofer. It also has the digital coax. So yes, you can hook your two amps to it and be fine. Its mp3 playback is pretty decent. Much better than my first generation Jensen mp3 player.

Back