New Tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
Most people do this the other way around I think...swapping engines and not trannys. But I want to keep my B16 and get a new tranny. The B16 tranny I have grinds too fucking much and is sometimes hard to get into gear. I think the previous owner abused the fuck out of it...but sometimes I do too... :ph34r:

Anyway, I dont street race and I don't go to the track. For now I doubt I will do anything to the engine. So, my question is which tranny would be better for gas mileage (even though I'm getting no lower than 24 mpg now)? LS or GSR?

Isn't the GSR transmission is geared like a Type R for gears 1 and 2, but has the gearing of the LS for gears 3-5?

Oh, to add...would Ebay be the way to get a slightly used LS/GSR transmission and how much am I looking at to buy one?

if you want higher gas milage get the LS tranny
the GSR is good too though

perhaps a GSR tranny with an LS 5th gear (still fun but a nice long gear for highway cruising)

Originally posted by E_SolSi@Dec 23 2003, 02:31 AM
if you want higher gas milage get the LS tranny
the GSR is good too though

perhaps a GSR tranny with an LS 5th gear (still fun but a nice long gear for highway cruising)

I take this more or less as one vote for the LS. :thumbsup:

I am with E SolSi...

LS for gas milege.....

GSR = fun...

GSR is different than Type R,

the closest Type R is the B16a3 (del sol SI)......

but it has different final drive.....

no don't buy stuff are the ebay, jest get one from somebody you know or a junk yard,

I have a friend who sels stuff on ebay, and his stuff is expensive,

when I want to buy something from him he is like I can sell this thing on the ebay for $80 you can have it for $40,

so jest look around.....

yep, id go with the LS, its not all that bad. Or you can do what Sol said and gsr with LS 5th.

I think im gettin around 30 mpg with my Ls. but thats runnin it while it was on 2 cylinders (for like 1/2 mile and 5 mins) and just tryin to figure problems out.

I have a gsr tranny and it isn't too bad for highway traveling. I have takin my car on a few trips that ranged 9-16 hours and still got about 30 mpg.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Dec 23 2003, 02:28 AM
Most people do this the other way around I think...swapping engines and not trannys. But I want to keep my B16 and get a new tranny.
. So, my question is which tranny would be better for gas mileage (even though I'm getting no lower than 24 mpg now)? LS or GSR?

Isn't the GSR transmission is geared like a Type R for gears 1 and 2, but has the gearing of the LS for gears 3-5?

if i had to pick a gsr or ls tranny i would go with the gsr . i've had the gsr tranny and the b16 tranny. if you have the power to make up for the shorter gears b16 tranny is the shit and plus the b16 tranny is the same set up for the type r most people thinks it's the gsr but it's not. say but i have all these tranny' i take $300 for the ls and $375 for the gsr $400 b16 tranny

Originally posted by JDMilan@Dec 24 2003, 12:16 PM
if you can get a Jspec ITR tranny, I would go with that.

he wants something that will be good for fuel economy
i can speak from first hand experience the JDM ITR tranny is NOT good for fuel economy

Originally posted by JDMilan@Dec 24 2003, 05:21 PM
how much better does he want, after all it's a honda - they get great fuel economy.

well I get 24 mpg right now, but 30 would be even better while still having 8000 rpm and 160 hp.

definitely LS. you can pick a fairly new one for like 400 bucks or so. i paid $300 for a 98 that had 61k on it (checked the gauge cluster...yeeeah!) at Capital City Imports in Austin.

too bad my fuckin car still doesnt run.

Back