new TV....

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

GSRCRXsi

Super Moderator
VIP
so i took the plunge. BB has 2 years no interest on anything 999 &up so why not. i picked up the panasonic TH-42PZ85U. 42" plasma.

specs here. Newegg.com - Panasonic VIERA 42" 1080p 480Hz Plasma HDTV w/Anti-Reflective Filter & Increased Contrast Ratio - TH42PZ85U

i got a steal (with discount :) ). 1086+tax+4yr service plan ~ 1370 out the door. its a SWEET TV.

but...

it fucking doesnt work. lol. i plug it in, press the power button, nothing. wtf, taking it back for another tomorrow.

yes, but i was trying the power button on the tv. its DOA.

im not sure if thats serious or not, but its not doing anything. no lights no beeps, nothing.

apparently you arent sarcasic. panasonics will flash codes. lol.

but i took it back to the store, and they hooked it up, it worked fine, WTF! so i took it home and now it works lol.

Bought mine a couple years ago from BB for around $1300, they must have dropped in price.

We originally got a 32", but took it back and got a 42" Westinghouse because we liked the widescreen so much.

oh yes, its nice. i dont have anything HD, but im impressed by the SD so far lol. DVD's look nice.

ill probably have to write a modeline so i can get mythtv hooked up in 1080p :). only issue im having is that the tv has 3 HDMI ports, but none of them have a separate audio input with it, so DVI->HDMI isnt an option :( so i have to go through the PC VGA input.

dvi-hdmi is an option, so long as you have a receiver with hdmi switching :)

use the receiver as your 'brain'. The only ting that should end up in the tv is the power cord, and the hdmi from the receiver to the tv. that's it. everything else, plug in the receiver.

im not dropping another 500+ on a good reciever. for now its all going to the TV. in the future i probably will do that though. also ill have to read through the manual so i can see what res all the different inputs are capable of.

damn jealous. you be getting all the good shit.

still rocking a 84' GE 37". I love magnetized purple screens.

btw, are the 4 yr warranties worth it? general consensus is dont buy warranty from stores, but it seems like 200 is cheap insurance against 1000+ lost.

i NEVER buy warranties. ever.

half the time, they don't cover what broke, or at least not in full... and by the time it breaks, it's not even worth the money to repair (or the 4 weeks of not having a tv....).

well its not really a warranty. its a service plan. so if shit breaks, it gets fixed, not replaced. to me its worth it. in 4 years if anything happens short of me dropping it or spraying it with water, itll be fixed. but yeah it sucks being out the tv for 2-4 weeks. this is just my experience with BB, i ship stuff out everyday.

but good news, i flipped through the manual. i can pair pretty much any of the audio inputs with any HDMI port. sweet :) guess im gonna pick up a DVI->HDMI cable tomorrow.

considering i work there, yea i know. any kind of plan is 100% profit until the company has to honor it.

sweet, 99 dollar DVI->HDMI cable for 9 bucks. we're in business now. it still wasnt loading up in 1080p so i had to reinstall mythbuntu. everything loaded up in 1080p by default this time :)

ill see if i can get some pics of the setup.

Back