New Zc Project

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Zerosk8r455

My friend just gave me a ZC a couple weeks ago cuz it was taking up too much space in his garage. I plan on building it just for the hell of it. Don't plan on putting it in my car...i got a b16 for that..i just think it'd be fun to build..maybe buy a hb and throw it in there..or sell it. I don't know anything about these old motors..Do companies like Je or Crower or Skunk2 or any major brands actually produce parts for old motors like this? I believe it is a DOHC, but since it is just the bare bottom end w/ no head..i am not sure. How could i find out if it is SOHC or DOHC? Or could i just buy a head for it that is DOHC? Also, i read the article on how to build a HF monster..and i was wondering if there was some kind of trick to building ZC's in the same fashion (using cheap stock parts off other cars). If not, where the hell can i find parts for my motor? Keep in mind, i don't want to spend my entire B16 budget on this damn ZC, just wanna build it for fun. Btw, thank you B for the info about how to obtain information.

If you don't want to blow your B16 budget, don't build this engine. If it's a DOHC ZC, parts are hard to find, especially more than 10 years after the engine's last manufacture date, and in a country that it was never offered in. If it's a SOHC ZC non-VTEC engine, it's the same as the D16A6 (bottom end) and you can perform the same upgrade. If the pistons are domed, you most likely have a DOHC ZC. If the pistons have a slight dish like shown on my web page, you have a SOHC ZC.

If you want to save cash, just pull the pistons and rods, then sell them. Buying aftermarket pistons/rods and a head to put on that engine will blow through your B16 budget pretty fast.

By the way, you should wait a while before bumping the hell out of your thread and getting pissy at people. The information you wanted for modding a D block engine is all over the place, and my post on the SOHC ZC internals with pictures is only a few days old. You could stand to look around the forum some, or just wait a little while longer.

well, my friend had a JDM ZC in his 89 ef. fastest ZC ive ever been in, ran a 14.3 at something, but all he had was gutting cai/h/e reground cams and a bit of headwork. i dunno what your b16a budget is like, but if u can get your car into the 14's or low 15's it will sell for alot more than just a ZC hybrid. those are a dime a dozen now adays, but one that runs low 15's or high 14's is a very sexy car.

Originally posted by Calesta@May 6 2003, 12:40 AM
If you don't want to blow your B16 budget, don't build this engine. If it's a DOHC ZC, parts are hard to find, especially more than 10 years after the engine's last manufacture date, and in a country that it was never offered in. If it's a SOHC ZC non-VTEC engine, it's the same as the D16A6 (bottom end) and you can perform the same upgrade. If the pistons are domed, you most likely have a DOHC ZC. If the pistons have a slight dish like shown on my web page, you have a SOHC ZC.

If you want to save cash, just pull the pistons and rods, then sell them. Buying aftermarket pistons/rods and a head to put on that engine will blow through your B16 budget pretty fast.

By the way, you should wait a while before bumping the hell out of your thread and getting pissy at people. The information you wanted for modding a D block engine is all over the place, and my post on the SOHC ZC internals with pictures is only a few days old. You could stand to look around the forum some, or just wait a little while longer.

Well, first, i didn't bump the hell out of my thread..i bumped like twice, no? Also, "Getting pissy?" Where the hell did that come from? i just said i'd like some help please..i never got "pissy." And third...i asked B what i should do since the search feature didn't help me and he said to post..so talk to him. Btw, I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks guys.

I think Mike meant that it was ok to to post this thread, but not to bump it so many times. The first bump was done 14 minutes after you posted the thread. Also, that there is a shit load of d series info in past threads and if you do a search on say google. Calm down, he gave you an answer and you are yelling at him.

Back