new

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CIV98DX

I'm very new to this site and pretty much don't understand it whatsoever. could someone help me out?

:confused:

Blind leading the blind there :)

Here is the premise:

Years ago, before the age of mainstream Import tuning, Existed a rather intelligent gent (pissedoffsol) who had a Del Sol. His Del Sol was going to get a newer engine, of different size and performance, than what was originally in the Del Sol, so different that the design didn't even really call for it.

Now this concept wasn't new. People have putting V8s in S10 trucks, Jaguars and shit like that for years. But to do this in a Honda was akin to challenging one to perform Brainsurgery, by "Winging it".

It was the hardest of the difficult, shit that only madmen on the West coast were brave enough / stupid enough / rich enough to do.

But during the Process Pissedoffsol decided to share the items that he learned with the world. Thus creating: Hondaswap.com.

It used to be a repository of data and crossovers, which allowed other shadetree mechanic types to perform the same "brainsurgery" swaps. From there, it exploded and what you have laid out before you is the penultimate Honda Information website in the World.

Yes, the World.

This site is so goddam famous that people in Moscow learn English just to have it's pages grace their ex-soviet lives. It's a site of such significance that the entire island of Trinidad have touted it as "a life saver, mon". People in Australia, who get the DOHC high powered Jap cars without a problem actually log into "The Swap" to put lower powered US motors in their cars just to feel that they belong to such an awesome group as Hondaswap.com.

The explosive force of the mass migration of users from both resource.crx.org, as well as ClubSi.com deflated those sites with such velocity that they crashed to the ground like the Hindenburg.

Hondatech is next, you wait.

This site takes on more traffic than corporate, heavily financed sites such as McDonalds.com, GeneralElectric.com and grouphug.us (Of which has mostly the same format and topics, only no one gets the "vtech" references). It does all of this for free. In this forum you'll find more sub-topics of actual conversations than you will at ANY other website, regardless of it's content. (It moves faster than the newsgroups such as alt.lace.strangled.children.and.teachers.ne.group, of which I refresh 3 times to every 56th Hondaswap refresh)

The topics and posts here are so well thought out, so bullet-proof - Nay, Tighter than a frog's ass - that a commitee of hundreds of people lose their minds attempting to hijack the forum with posts such as "I'm a newb and I want to make 800 horsepower but have 2000 to spend, which vtech should I install" and "I am (perhaps) a woman and I have custom built a car that is so hot that magazines cover offers shoot out of my love canal, worship me and f*ck you to those who don't" posts can't even DENT the relationship of those gathered in it's digital confines.

Quite simply stated, Hondaswap.com is the Alpha AND the Omega of online car conversations and idea trading - Not just for Honda, but ANY make and model specific forum site in the world. Hit for unique IP Hit, I'll take the Pepsi Challenge with any car site in the world.

So ask away, but don't say "VTECH".

Good god, you actually took the time to write that. For some odd reason I dont think it took you that long either.

why i asked...

that was quite the response (the long one).

I dunno i'm new to this whole forum thing...checked it out cuz I've been having MAJOR troubles with my 1998 Honda Civic DX and so yeah...i joined and once I got registered I was confused on how to post and shit, but I think I'm good now.

Yeah, also because of the nature of Swapping engines, Hondaswap answers can get so granular that we can point out problems with individual pin-outs on individual ECUs, country specific or otherwise special. We cover subjects and unique projects that other car sites (Check out some of the answers on the DSM, Supra, or Neon forums) can't even touch. Things like "pin-out 13 on my 97 HX ecu reads 4 volts when my apexi V-AFC engages vtec - Is that what should happen?" will actually get a response whereas elsewhere and other forums will just get you strange looks and "you should check the dealer".

And that first post took about 3 minutes.

There are people who have been members for months without knowing how to use the site.

Hahahah.. So it's Legend ?

Hondaswap.com was started by Pissedoffsol to shovel in shopping carts of money. When that failed, he decided to "try this hondaswapping bullshit" and wound up taking 4 years to swap in a motor that was only .2 liters larger than the same motor that came in the car in Japan. After a team of 35 people came together to make it run, he sold it and pretty much never owned a Honda since.

Is that better ?

LOL guess this post turned out to be quite an interesting turnout.

I had basically been having troubles with my check engine light coming on (1998 Honda Civic DX) and then my speedometer started to FREAK OUT! We replaced the speed sensor which didn't do a damn thing..then the battery basically died while we were at Sears. We had them do the diagnostic check (starter, alternator, battery). We replaced the battery there, they told us the alternator was bad so we got that, installed it...problem still there. Finally we found out that we need to both oxygen sensors so we got those and are going to install them and hope it fixs part of the problem. While my stepdad was looking at everything he discovered two hairline cracks in the exhaust manifold...so that's ANOTHER god damn thing we might have to replace!

Has anyone had this same if not similar problem?

Whenever you get a CEL you need to read the codes. Those codes (as well as how to get them) can be found on this site or by googling for results.

A cracked exhaust manifold will cause O2 misreads, and a CEL. It will also affect performance and make it noticeably worse.

The speedo freaking out needs to be more specific: Does the needle go ABOVE the speed that you are doing? Or does it "freak out" below your actual speed ? Whether it goes above or below are big helps in diagnosing.

Also, never go back to Sears. Their Diagnostic machine is basically a slot machine that rolls out three items that they try to sell you (Nice ! You got 2 lemons and a Battery!, that'll be $250 please!)

The exhaust manifold in the later SOHC cars is an easy repair. You may wanny look in our classified sections for one, or a performance manifold.

We did read the codes...and the codes said to get the O2 sensors.

The speedometer freaks out either says I'm going zero mph or jumps around to 120 to 60 to 80 to 40, etc. The main speed that I've been going is 50mph or LOWER...and it still does this. Don't go back to Sears??? Yes we did buy the two O2 sensors and we did need a battery. We had tested it and it was only putting out 11.4V where it shouldve been putting out 14V. Thank for the suggestions. I'll look in the classifieds.

hey just so you know, you don't test batteries based upon the voltage, you test them by the Cold Cranking Amps, or CCA.

Alrighty -- so we are STILL dealing with TROUBLES!
We called Honda today to ask how much a new ELD would be and I mentioned my problem and he suggested checking to see if there were wires or something that weren't where they were supposed to be or weren't grounded? Anyway so my stepdad did that and then I got home, he fixed up everything else, put the code detector on after I test drove it (the check engine light pulsated a bit and it felt as if the car was jerking). We got a code P1399 (OBD II code detector). The code explanation says "Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire." Anyone heard of this?

Please give me any feed back you have on this!

thanks.

Back