newb question (please excuse me)

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ignorant import guy

ok so i too got burned from ssautochrome...the turbo blows oil...so i found a garrett t25 from a different car(i think it's a 90s pontiac or something?). now i know that a manifold for my d series with a t25 flange will fit right? now i'm looking for a downpipe...how and where do i find the right downpipe that will fit the side of the turbo. will the dump tube that fits the turbo fit most downpipes? I have a 99 civic d16y8 and going to any muffler shop or mechanic in my area to custon weld a downpipe to fit the turbo is not an option because nobody in my area will do it. if it's possible i'd like to find the manifold, turbo and downpipe together, but doubt it will happen...

Last edited:
Your not going to find a manifold and downpipe for your civic that is going to bolt right up with that turbo. First off I think the t25 if junk, you should get a t3 but thats just my opinion. Most of the time you need to make your own downpipe. Especially if you want to have the dump tube merge into the downpipe. If no one in your area will do it. Buy the mandrel bends, chop saw, and a cheap flux core welder and do it yourself. I made my first one with out help and it works great!

so even if the manifold is made with a t25 or t3(whatever i decide) flange on it it won't bolt up to the turbo? and i kinda want an internally gated turbo so dumptube is not in the picture

What i meant is that every turbo manifold will position the turbo a little differently. So if you wanted to buy something that would fit for sure you would have to order a manifold that comes with a downpipe designed specifcally for it. If you are going to use a internally gated turbo that will make it easier for you. You should be able to get one of those downpipes off the net that you just cut down to fit and have a shop weld it for you. It is kind of difficult to have a good exhaust on a turbo car if you cant do it your self or have a exhaust shop do it.

well tuning in my area is not a big buisness...actually there is hardly any buisness for anything around here...but the big thing which is what the mechanics will do is mud bogging (lift kits, etc.) they don't know jack about turbos unless it's from a ford or chevy; there are very few tuners around here, there is only one person i know of in the vacinity with a swapped engine; to paint a picture for you the only stores to buy performance parts is advance auto parts and auto zone and that's like apc shit...if there was any way you could make it and ship one to me i would definitely do it for sure, sorry i don't live closer...but i was thinking i'd buy the turbo and manifold looking for a turbo that comes with that part of the downpipe already bolted on the side, then i'll see if i can use the downpipe i have now (which I'm satisfied with) and have a relative who's a certified welder make the pipe work...I guess I'll see if it works...do yu have any other suggestions

Back