Newbie Cam and head work question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ryaned380

First off, 96 civic EX D16, spun rod bearing and since motor is pulled might as well build motor up for turbo. Gonna run better pistons and rods and lower compression to about 8.6:1. I plan on driving the car for a couple months til I save up and get the whole turbo kit(non-eBay). I know with lower compression car won't be as fast and don't care, I'm gonna have a damn turbo.

My question is can I get a higher performance cam, valves, and springs and still drive the car for a daily driver with no problems? Will the car need to be tuned with all this work done(still runnin stock fuel injectors)??

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

It depends for the cams. But there are cams out there that will still be a good daily driver. Valve springs/retainers are needed with any stage 2 cam or anything beyond the stock rev limit.Car will need to be tuned if you are running a chipped ECU/Adj cam gears(I would do a tune both after the rebuild and once turbo is installed)

Stock fuel injectors are fine for a DD turbo. IMO....if you are trying to get more then 200whp out of it, aftermarket fuel pump and injectors would be necessary.

most of what carfrog said is true, however I would upgrade injector size. if you are going to be putting aftermarket pistons and rods in this setup, youre probably going to want to upgrade injectors and the fuel pump.

also, remember that low compression is not necessary for a turbo setup. in fact, you might as well just get some stock compression pistons considering you're running a d-series which already has fairly low compression. go too low and its going to be a complete turd out of boost. slower than it was stock.

YES, the car will need to be tuned. that will be the most important step in making your vehicle perform better.

id recommend doing some reading before you tackle this. you might learn a lot and change your mind.

Back