Newbie Lost with 1990 1.5 liter swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Thurobred

Thurobred
Hey everybody, i need some advice. What are the basics i wanna take care of with simply swapping my JDM 1.5 liter from an automatic to a manual 1990 civic LX. I've got the new axles, stock Honda muffler, water pump and radiator already pretty new, but what do i need to do to make this car run great. It's gonna be a bone stock daily driver because i have plans with another car. I don't know much about Honda's, except they are very reliable. Please float some ideas out there as to which route i can take. obviously i need the basics(plugs, wires,fluids,etc) but are there anythings that go bad on the manual trans of the 1990 civics like throw out bearings or clutches? any ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Is the engine code for this car D15B2 or how do i find out since its from Japan i think? All i know is that the valve cover is silver on the JDM wheras, the original engine had a black corrugated one on it... i don't know.

Last edited:
Hey everybody, i need some advice. What are the basics i wanna take care of with simply swapping my JDM 1.5 liter from an automatic to a manual 1990 civic LX. I've got the new axles, stock Honda muffler, water pump and radiator already pretty new, but what do i need to do to make this car run great. It's gonna be a bone stock daily driver because i have plans with another car. I don't know much about Honda's, except they are very reliable. Please float some ideas out there as to which route i can take. obviously i need the basics(plugs, wires,fluids,etc) but are there anythings that go bad on the manual trans of the 1990 civics like throw out bearings or clutches? any ideas will be greatly appreciated thanks.

Is the engine code for this car D15B2 or how do i find out since its from Japan i think? All i know is that the valve cover is silver on the JDM wheras, the original engine had a black corrugated one on it... i don't know.

If this is just your daily beater, I'd probably skip the auto-to-manual conversion. That's a lot of money for parts, plus hassle and headache, for a beater car that you're just going to drive to work and back.

Just my two cents...good luck with it...

well i'm swapping cause the 1990 auto is rusting to oblivion while the five speed has some metal left on her. Keep feedin' me advice guys...what if i do wanna make it keep up with my mustang or at least kinda keep up...can a 1.5 liter honda keep up with a 5.0 mustang? Thanks a lot everyone.^_^

a 1.5 could keep up with a 5.0....you just gotta build it...
but i wouldnt build a 1.5...you can get a bigger motor and build it for more hp with the amount of cash youll be dropping to get the 1.5 even with the 5.0

Back