newbie shimmy question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

deadhooker

Hey All,

I just picked up a 91' Hatch that has been modified a bit. Adjustable coilovers, blah blah. Anyways, the car drives great and after about 15 miles or so of driving it starts to get a shimmy around 40-50 mph. I've only driven it twice (about 40 miles total), so I know it could be a multitude of things.

We got underneath it yesterday after seeing a pool of oil on the driveway. Something let loose and crapped a ton of fluid. We couldn't tell where it originated from as it looks like it hit the flywheel and all the rotational force just spit it clear down the car coating just about everything.

Is the flywheel usually exposed on these cars? It seems odd to me.

Also, it wasn't low on oil, actually about a quart and a half high.

sorry about the novel

If oil is splurred on the fly wheel, most common cause is a faulty rear main seal.
It makes more sense that you mentioned the extra high oil level.
Over filled crank cases cause higher oil pressure, causing oil to escape at its
least path of resistance.
There should be a sheetmetal cover for the flywheel and very common to be left out when dis assembled and re assembled. Its easier for most people to leave it off. It wont hurt anything to leave it off unless you reside in an area where there is alot of dirt or small rocks that can make its way into the exposed area. For the most part honda engineers put it there for a reason. :huh:
As far as the shimmy, I would start with tire balancing, then move up to struts or a better quality lowering spring.

I don't think it is a tire balance, but that will get figured out definitively Saturday.

As for the cv, Couldn't find a split in the boot, but it did look like it was possibly leaking from the DS cv at the trans. The only issue is like primo said, it hit the flywheel so there is crap everywhere.

I forgot to check the brand of the coilovers. By the way it sounds going down the road, they could be loose.

forgot to mention... it was a towaway vehicle.

keep in mind a split boot will release more of a lube than an oil.
Also, does not justify oil splatter on the flywheel.

so it was a split boot, we just couldn't see it the day we picked it up.

I have replaced the cvs, radiator, full tune up, etc. It definitely runs better now, but there is still a slight shutter when braking. I checked the rotors, and no warping. Balljoints and steering links all in good shape.

I need to try and find a cover for the flywheel. Would this need to come off of a similar civic, or general year with the 5spd?

Back