newbie with an ex and $3500

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

turbodeigo

ok so i have had this ek coupe sitting in a storage shed for over a year and now its time to put it together. its a 1996 EX coupe i picked up off a friend for $500 needing bumpers, fenders, a hood and a trans. well, the body work was done a long time ago and it has been sitting. i have never driven it.

anyway, i just sold my other car and now have a little cash to play with, to the tune of $3600. its got a stock D16 in it with 150K or so on the clock, and all this money is going towards functional parts so heres my question: what would you do?

at the moment this is my plan:

OBD1 B16 SiRII swap, with OBD conversion harness, LSD trans, new axles, and new linkage = $2800 shipped from jazz

neccessary mounts/brackets/etc to install motor, im guessing $150 or so on ebay

minor bolt-ons also from ebay: intake, exhaust, header, chipped ecu, another $300ish

then some sort of shock/strut package again, probably sourced from ebay, im guessing another $300

i would just get a good set of mounts.....and make it look OEM with the swap....other then the intake....i wouldent get that stuff from ebay.... alot of it is knock off stuff and is lower quality (SOME are ok) but most are crap

first off, thanks for the reply.

as for the ebay stuff, i didnt mean SSAutoChrome or things of that nature. i just prefer to source decent new or used parts from ebay or BBS', as they are usually MUCH cheaper. i dont need a $1200 Mugen header or Tein coilovers to make me happy, like some other folks. a used DC via ebay along with some tokico HPs would be just fine for my daily driver needs. im not trying to make a race car, just something i can drive for few years, and merge or pass when i need to.

in the future, this car will probably recieve some sort of turbo kit, hence the B16 as my primary option right now. as far as i have read, its an ideal vtec motor for turbocharging. turbo is a long way down the road tho, or else i would just buy a B20 or B18b and turbo it right off the bat.

so now i gotta start a new thread relating to OBD issues

if you are going to get a turbo kit, don't buy i/h/e.

if i was in your shoes, i would just do the swap. leave it stock for now, and focus on wheels, tires, and suspension. you will enjoy the drivability a whole lot more.

if you are set on the b16 swap. leave the jdm b16 air box and get a good filter. aftermarket wont be any better just a lot louder. header isn't that much more important either. i would consider getting a 2 or 2.25" exhaust. something quiet.

Back