We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

vic44

Hello All. I'm new here and fairly new to Honda. I have 91 Honda civic si i bought last August and theres a loud whining that comes from the passenger side wheel, it gets louder the faster you go, the only way i can describe it, is it sounds like the tire is rubbing against the fender, but its not.

I ruled out the tires and brakes because there all new. The hub turns freely and doesn't seem to be siezing anywhere. It feels like theres a squared spot on the tire when i'm slowing down and coming to a stop it vibrates and the steering wheel vibrates in my hand but i haven't applied the brakes yet. First i thought it was a warped rotor but there both brand new.

If anyone has any insight into what it might be, it would be greatly appreciated thanks :cry:

Vic.

first off WELCOME!!! second, your EF was a good choice even if it wines like my girl at a car show. it sounds almost like the grease is gone from the CV joint closest to the wheel. Ive come across the same problem in my girls 88 EF dx. the grease had " slung" out of a crack in the boot but the CV didn't give way, it just hummed like bad wheel bearings. It could be something else but I havn't heard of nor came across a problem like this except when there were brake problems ( pad wore to metal,bum rotor,etc.) Check out the condition of your CV axle(s) for boot wear or other damage. hopefully this info will help. one more thing.....since your a nooB take in all that the FAQ section has to offer, you'll think me later. good luck!

Ah ah!!!! Yes now it all adds up, i had the boot replaced a few weeks ago because it was cracked and i bet the bum never added grease before he put the new boot on. I just hope the CV isn't damaged.

I like the car, even with 150K its still peppy and great on gas!

Thanks, thanks and more thanks!! :mrgreen: Great site and i'll check out the FAQ's i'll need them if i'm going to restore this little gem.

Vic.

Sounds more like a wheel bearing to me. CV axles will usually start "clicking" when they are going bad. Wheel bearings are more of a roar. Could be mistaken for tire noise. Jack that side up and grab the wheel/tire and shake it with both hands up and down and side to side. There should be no play. By the way, bearings are nothing to put off repairing. Could become very dangerous one day without warning(besides the noise beforehand) and you'll be sliding down the road on a tricycle. :eek:

It was the wheel bearing, the old one is pretty chewed up. Do i need a press to put the new one in? or is it a complete hub assembly?

The FAQ's are awsome on this site.

Thanks to all. :worthy:
Vic.

It presses in. Pull the knuckle off and get a shop to press it in. Shouldn't cost more than 30 bucks plus the bearing.

Thanks for all the help. it's greatly appreciated. :)

Vic.

Thanks for all the help, greatly appreciated.

Vic.

Back