newbie's new project needs help! 92 gs-r ls/vtec...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

novicejdmguy

i got this 92 gs-r that is relatively straight but won't start. i did some reading but am still in the dark on how to get this thing started. any help would be appreciated. so far, i have: replaced battery, removed distributor and noticed a slightly bent spring, replaced cap and rotor to no avail. i am not entirely new to driving honda's but getting one started that doesn't run is entirely new to me. please, don't let me waste your time unless you think you might really want to help me with this thing. many thanks to all of you keeping this site fresh and useful.

dustin:huh:

Do a compression test. If the numbers aren't close to the same, do a leak-down test.

Has the car sat for awhile or just didn't start one day?

i will get a compression tester tomorrow and try to look up what a leak-down test is. the car hasn't run since i bought it. the guy who sold it to me said it had been running and that somebody who test drove it handed the keys back to him and it hasn't started since. i had always wanted a gs-r and actually got it for a kinda ridiculous price even though its not a salvage title. my wife isn't too happy about it right now but i guess that's just part of the game. i appreciate your advice and welcome anything more you might want to add after i try the compression tomorrow night. about how many psi should i read assuming the compression is intact???

i hope you got that for really cheap . it ran someone test drove it brought it back and its never run again OUCHHHHHHHHHHHHH

its got an ls/vtec motor transplant in a stock gs-r body. and, yes, i did get it for cheap since it wasn't running. i have always liked the style on these rides and would like to get it purring.

Does the car just crank but dont start? Its hella wierd cuz i was driving my car into the free way and it just died on me i tried starting it over and over again but all i got was just cranking. So i went home and i had a Brand new distubitor, a #10 fuse for the E.C.U, and a main fuel relay. i went back to were the car was and i change the distubitor and nothing, so i put the old one back. then i checked the E.C.U for the #10 and its not blown, then i got to the fuels main relay and right away it smelled burned so luckly i had it i changed it and Waaaaaaammm. Started right away. Basicaly wen your car cranks and dont start check these options out:--Check for spark to test the Distubitor, check your fuel presure this is to see if your fuel pump is turning on; this fuel presure depends on your main fuel relay if its working but check if your relay is working first. check the ECU fuse its usaly #10 if its not blown. check you timing to see if the crank, cam gears all aling. I hope i gave you an idea meing....... and sorry for the ESAY people i just like too write. hahaha

Back