newb's Camaro

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Its got a 4L60E in it now. Theyre not the best, in terms of holding power, but Ill be goin with a built one with a trans brake, and a stall convertor in the 3500 range. If, for what ever reason, that doesnt hold up, Ill be ditchin over drive, and goin to a TH400 with an equal build in it.

I would now, but theres quite a bit of wiring to do just to get the tranny in without throwin codes, and still have a speedometer and cruise control.

he'll probably keep the 4L60E or swap in a 4L80E. Maybe, just maybe if he's man enough he'll step up to a T56 (6 speed) swap!

Last edited:
I don't really like Camaros but that's one nice ass car you got there man!

Yes it has a 4l60e in it and I do belive he is going to go with one of mine but not sure. Newb just so you know we have two of our 4l60e's in the low 9s one went 9.21 and the other 9.35 in a full weight C6 zo6 these trans will hold 800hp at the wheels very well and dont useualy break. As 00si mentioned a 4l80e will also take the abuse and we can also build you one of these with a brake. If you chose to step up to a 4l80e you can get lots of cool parts for a 4l80 custom grear ratios aluminum drums and way better sprags as the 4l80 and th400 share many many parts.

Correct, I am coming to you for the transmission. I never realised the 4L80E had common parts with the TH400. I wanted to avoid the 4L80E because of the extra weight. And I had heard of puttin some of the 4L80E parts in the 60 to get more strength out of it, so I considered that. But would that just add more weight to the 60?

I dunno. Im still not fully aware of my options. Im new to Chevy and over drive both lol.

And no, this thing wont be gettin a T56. Thats too many gears for what Im doin with the car. And it adds another variable that could ultimately be detrimental to my goals.

no 4l80 and 4l60 parts are not interchangeable at all. Yes you can put aluminum drums and superspags out of a th400 but it wont help that much with the total weight of the trans. It will however reduce rotating mass and help that aspect of things out. You can also get nice small converters for the 4l80 which lighten it up lots also. But if you want a seriously built 4l80 and a converter to go along with it cont on spending about 3k more than the 4l60 as the converter and rotating assembly cost way more not to mention a $600 core value on the 4l80 from the core places to even get a junk one to build. You would also have to get a custom driveshaft with a larger yoke and much shorter than stock. If you intend on keeping the car N/A the 4l60 will be great. The only other trans i would consider for the car if it becomes a all out drag car would be a Powerglide and maby a gear vendors overdrive added on to it but thats gona be big bucks.

Dude, I am not a Camaro fan at all, but I love this car.

I am kinda thinking about one now, I'm going to do some research first. I have a few buddies that own Z28s and they love em.

no 4l80 and 4l60 parts are not interchangeable at all. Yes you can put aluminum drums and superspags out of a th400 but it wont help that much with the total weight of the trans. It will however reduce rotating mass and help that aspect of things out. You can also get nice small converters for the 4l80 which lighten it up lots also. But if you want a seriously built 4l80 and a converter to go along with it cont on spending about 3k more than the 4l60 as the converter and rotating assembly cost way more not to mention a $600 core value on the 4l80 from the core places to even get a junk one to build. You would also have to get a custom driveshaft with a larger yoke and much shorter than stock. If you intend on keeping the car N/A the 4l60 will be great. The only other trans i would consider for the car if it becomes a all out drag car would be a Powerglide and maby a gear vendors overdrive added on to it but thats gona be big bucks.

Well if thats the case, Ill stick with the 4L60E. 800HP and mid 9's fits in with my goals fine lol. I may put a T70 on it, but Im still not gunna push much past 600. Right now a built 4L80E just doesnt fit, in terms of cost versus how much I need it.

Dude, I am not a Camaro fan at all, but I love this car.

I am kinda thinking about one now, I'm going to do some research first. I have a few buddies that own Z28s and they love em.

Well, if you go with a '98 up LS1 car feel free to ask questions. Im not a top level expert, but I know my way around the car pretty well. 97hatch deffinitly knows whats up too, hes helped me quite a bit. The biggest thing to consider if your really lookin at one is the difference in years. Just about every year from 98-02 somethin changed. Just small stuff, but still.

And thanks for the compliments everyone. Ive been workin to have a nice car for a long time now, and while its not the nicest its somethin I can be proud of.

No new updates, but I took it out for some pics.

IMG_1057-1.jpg

IMG_1058-1.jpg

IMG_1060-1.jpg

Tried gettin it out to the track a few weeks ago, but I missed registration by 20 minutes. They werent takin bribes either lol. Weathers been shitty and Ive been a bit tight on cash so I havent tried again yet. Hopin for a 13 flat at best. Shouldnt be too far off, thats for sure.

He lives in the northwest where they have mountains... unlike Kansas.

Lol, the stickers stay.

Werd. Im in the Northwest, and that would Mt. Rainier in the back ground. That one damn tree f'ed my shot up tho. Im still huntin a spot to get a clear view of the mountain.

Well, its been slow but I finally got around to movin my license plate. Looks a ton better, and its still somewhat legal. If it really comes down to it I can still put it back in the factory location easily so its all good.

Before
IMG_1065.jpg

After
IMG_1099.jpg

Also got my Patriot heads. A friend bought a long block that suposedly had a snapped cam in it. Well, he never took the time to look, being as he just bought the motor to part it out and make money. Judging by the rest of the parts in the motor, like the relief cut flat tops and FAST 90/90 (which I bought also), it was a pretty nasty setup. I dont have any specs on the heads yet since they dont have any ID numbers on em. According to Patriot, they didnt mark the heads in the past, so I hafta have em spec'd out before I run em. They do have larger valves, and are CNC ported, but Im worried about the valve size. It looks like it might be on the small side for my cam, but thats an easy fix. No pics of em worth puttin up. No point anyways, everyone here knows what a CNC'd port looks like lol. This weekend the cars goin in for another shot at fixin the tranny tune. The d-bag that did it the last 3 times finally quit answerin my calls, so Im goin somewhere else now. Lets hope it all works.

newb unless there a expert which we have fonund that not many people are we highly sugest the factory trans tune and make the recomendation that you turn torque management off. We see many trany failures because of the tune hell our top builder who is no tuner burned his up a week ago messing with the trans tune in his truck. Its a 03 SS with a 6.2 and headers cam and 150 shot went 12.16 @111 and thats is a 6000# truck

Should just sent your car to Lingenfelter ---bam--done..

Camaro/Firebird 1998-2002 > 427 CID LS1 7.0 L
530 BHP / 530 lbs-ft of torque
See chassis dyno sheet MT
Package includes:
- Engine removal, inspection and disassembly
- Custom LS7 aluminum block preparation
- JE forged aluminum pistons
- Callies 4.000" stroke forged steel crankshaft
- Manley 6.125" fully machined 4340 forged steel I-Beam connecting rods
- Computer balanced rotating assembly
- New GM head bolts
- Lingenfelter CNC porting and polishing of LS1 cylinder heads
- 2.055" / 1.57" one piece stainless steel intake & exhaust valves
- Competition Cams double valve springs, titanium retainers, 10 degree locks & valve stem seals
- Three angle valve job, checking of spring tensions and heights
- Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft
- High volume oil pump assembly
- 90 mm composite intake manifold
- 90 mm throttle body
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Low restriction air filter housing and K&N air filter
- Reassembly and blueprinting of the engine
- Professional installation, testing and tuning
- Stainless steel exhaust by Corsa Performance - sport system
- ASP Underdrive Pulley
- Chassis dyno testing after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity
Package Price - $19,995.00
Options / Upgrades
Lingenfelter Engine Oil Cooler $1,195.00
HD Automatic transmission rebuild $2,995.00
Yank 2,800 stall torque converter $759.00

newb unless there a expert which we have fonund that not many people are we highly sugest the factory trans tune and make the recomendation that you turn torque management off. We see many trany failures because of the tune hell our top builder who is no tuner burned his up a week ago messing with the trans tune in his truck. Its a 03 SS with a 6.2 and headers cam and 150 shot went 12.16 @111 and thats is a 6000# truck

Ya, the person who tuned it last turned line pressure up a lil bit and torque managment down a lil bit. This time, Im gettin the stock tune put back on and maybe give line pressures a very little nudge. Are you sayin turn torque management clear off and leave everything else stock?

I want to see what the CNC heads looks like. lol

V8 ported heads = sex.

Lol, Ill try to get some good pics then.

Should just sent your car to Lingenfelter ---bam--done..

Camaro/Firebird 1998-2002 > 427 CID LS1 7.0 L
530 BHP / 530 lbs-ft of torque
See chassis dyno sheet MT
Package includes:
- Engine removal, inspection and disassembly
- Custom LS7 aluminum block preparation
- JE forged aluminum pistons
- Callies 4.000" stroke forged steel crankshaft
- Manley 6.125" fully machined 4340 forged steel I-Beam connecting rods
- Computer balanced rotating assembly
- New GM head bolts
- Lingenfelter CNC porting and polishing of LS1 cylinder heads
- 2.055" / 1.57" one piece stainless steel intake & exhaust valves
- Competition Cams double valve springs, titanium retainers, 10 degree locks & valve stem seals
- Three angle valve job, checking of spring tensions and heights
- Lingenfelter designed Competition Cams hydraulic roller camshaft
- High volume oil pump assembly
- 90 mm composite intake manifold
- 90 mm throttle body
- Properly sized fuel injectors
- Low restriction air filter housing and K&N air filter
- Reassembly and blueprinting of the engine
- Professional installation, testing and tuning
- Stainless steel exhaust by Corsa Performance - sport system
- ASP Underdrive Pulley
- Chassis dyno testing after installation
- Excellent drivability, highway mileage not adversely affected
- Lingenfelter 3 year/ 36,000 mile warranty
- Lingenfelter certificate of authenticity
Package Price - $19,995.00
Options / Upgrades
Lingenfelter Engine Oil Cooler $1,195.00
HD Automatic transmission rebuild $2,995.00
Yank 2,800 stall torque converter $759.00

Lol, ya it would be nice, but thats two and a half times what I paid for the car. I think once I get a Vette, Ill be givin Lingenfelter a call.

as we talked about before the trans tuning is why rossler and finishline conver over to vacum modulation so that people wont burn up the trans but its old technogy and the electronics work much better.

tq management will help keep the trans alive as it pulls lots of timing on the shifts. as far as the line pressures go it works oppsite of what you would think more duity cycle equals less pressure and less duity cycle means more pressure as the epc solenid is normaly closed. you wont be able to get max pressure much higher because there is a internal bypass in the pump. and the spring needs changed for it to go much over stock pressures. Also if you go jacking the line pressure up at part throtle shifts and making the trans shif harder in general you will most likely strup the teeth off the sunshell.

LOL on the lingenfelter coment that is one of our trans in there package way over priced and other shops can build a car to make twice the power for less money you are paying for the name and if you want your car to sit outside in there gravel lot for 6mo while they wait to work on it then more power to you. LPE is a very reputiable shop and build good things but the have very very conservitive tunes and take for aver and prices are way high

Also if you go jacking the line pressure up at part throtle shifts and making the trans shif harder in general you will most likely strup the teeth off the sunshell.

Exactly. Thats what my problem is now. It shifts nice at WOT, but once I go WOT the line pressure stays jacked way up no matter what my throttle position is. Ive had to shut my car down at stop lights many times because of it. Let me tell you, thatll make you feel like a douche in no time lol.

I dunno what the tard that tuned my car did, and I wont be goin back to him or the company he works for. Purely because of his skill level and customer service. Also, since I dunno what he did the new tuner isnt even gunna screw with his tune. We're startin from scratch.

My question though, was you recomend that I turn torque management off? Was I readin that right?

Back