newb's Camaro

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I was talking about building ...myself ....a 69 Camaro...if i was talking about purchasing it would be a 1967 Corvette 427 "Red Stinger"

I was refering to 2000Si and the COPOs. I've always wanted a 69' Camaro as far back as I can remember. I'd trade my Si for a solid rolling chassis and I'd still come up short. I'd take a 69' Baldwin Motion Stage III Camaro over probably any car. Ever. But I'd also have to have one with a modern drivetrain, braking, and suspension so I could drive it every day. As bad ass as the cars were then (in the sixties), compared to driving a fourth gen Z28/SS/TA/Formula or newer Vette I just couldn't enjoy the older muscle cars with their terrible all around handling. Brute force and straight line acceleration is only fun for so long.

To get back on topic; Newb, what kind of track time is this thing gonna see? Is it gonna be strictly 1/4 mile or do you have SCCA type events in mind?

Last edited:
You realize that C5 Vettes are some of the best handling American cars under 100k right? Not to mention the aftermarket for their handling aspects.

if youre talking to me then believe me im well aware of it. And that compliments my point. After driving modern performance cars and being spoiled with great braking and cornering on top of power going back to sixties era muscle and driving it everyday wouldn't hold up in regards to total the driving experience. Although I would make that sacrifice any day for many muscle cars id still rather have that garage with both an all original piece and also a modern day suspension wrapped in a classic body. That's why my brothers BBC 71 Nova, my 91 Camaro, my cousins 70 Chevelle, and soon enough my dads 68 468 BB El Camino all have tubular front K members/A arms/coilovers at least. With the Chevelle having a complete Hotchkis suspension and my setup stated earlier.

Theres a 79 z sitting downtown for sale. too bad its practically flawless, and an automatic, and they aren't taking trades, and im broke. :(

double0, I apologize. I completely misread your post just above my last one, I somehow got the idea you were talking about modern (C5+ vettes, maros) had horrible handling. Thats what I get for trying to comprehend what I'm reading just after waking up. lol

double0, I apologize. I completely misread your post just above my last one, I somehow got the idea you were talking about modern (C5+ vettes, maros) had horrible handling. Thats what I get for trying to comprehend what I'm reading just after waking up. lol

i almost made the same mistake in reading his post...was gonna say newer vettes handle just as good as porshes

To get back on topic; Newb, what kind of track time is this thing gonna see? Is it gonna be strictly 1/4 mile or do you have SCCA type events in mind?

My goal for this car is low tens. Driven to the track, run, and driven home. Its gunna take quite a bit more suspension, some more weight trimming, and the new tranny and engine parts. Prally a little spray too. Strictly quarter mile for this car. A local track does run some road course stuff, but I just prefer straight line stuff. In the future if I decide to run Auto-X or anything, itll just take some slight tweaks and tires.

On a side note, I hit a few banked turns on the freeway on the way home today (usually sittin in traffic when I come through em) and the car did ok, but the ET Streets sure give the car a lot of understeer. Besides that it wasnt bad. I might end up gettin a tubular pan hard bar support to tighten things up a bit. But thatll add weight to the car, and I dont need it to go straight, so well see lol.

My goal for this car is low tens. Driven to the track, run, and driven home. Its gunna take quite a bit more suspension, some more weight trimming, and the new tranny and engine parts. Prally a little spray too. Strictly quarter mile for this car. A local track does run some road course stuff, but I just prefer straight line stuff. In the future if I decide to run Auto-X or anything, itll just take some slight tweaks and tires.

On a side note, I hit a few banked turns on the freeway on the way home today (usually sittin in traffic when I come through em) and the car did ok, but the ET Streets sure give the car a lot of understeer. Besides that it wasnt bad. I might end up gettin a tubular pan hard bar support to tighten things up a bit. But thatll add weight to the car, and I dont need it to go straight, so well see lol.

here...done

http://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/Drag Race Cars For Sale.htmlhttp://www.eastcoastsupercharging.com/Drag Race Cars For Sale.html

a simple rod and piston change along with changing NOS jets and it's an eight second car for well under 20k.
Lmfao!

Damn thats not too much more than I paid for my car lol.

Well, havent updated in a while. I guess the only new things to add are:

Got another set of SS 10 spokes (same as the black rims) in silver with more appropriate rain tires on em. Now traction sucks all the time. I hafta listen to the tires whine any time Im doin 35 MPH, or more. I hate the look of the silver wheels. But, the car doesnt look bad, so its all good.

Also did the brakes. Went with a set of new Brembo blank rotors up front, factory rotors turned for the rear, and EBC Red Stuff pads all around. The braking power is amazing, and there is ZERO fade. The pads are a lil noisey, but not enough to be a deal braker if I was to have Red Stuffs an option again.

Will have pics of all this eventually lol.

New parts in the collection would be Patriot stage II heads with 2.055 intake and 1.57 exhaust valves, 227cc intake runner and 70cc (I think) exhaust runners, with unknown cc on the chambers. Ill get em spec'd out before after I get em all cleaned. Also, got a FAST 90/90 combo, unported. I think thats it.

Finally, I lost my job so I gotta trim some fat. The car is an easy expense to loose, so its prally gunna go. I gave myself a 2 month dead line on a decision, if I dont make it sooner. All this based on the possibility I dont find a new job in that time frame. If the car does go Ill be lookin to do an LQ9/TH400 swap in a late 80's S10 with what ever money I can get outta the Camaro. Goal will be to make at least as much power at the wheels as the Camaro, which wont be hard.

Pics soon.

Last edited:
That's sad to hear. I hope everything works out and you're able to keep the Z. I want a fourth gen bad so I know how shitty it would be to have to let one go.

I was talking about building ...myself ....a 69 Camaro...if i was talking about purchasing it would be a 1967 Corvette 427 "Red Stinger"

Yummie Vette year :), I'm still a Fan of the 70 Chevelle SS 454 just because its damn sexxy...

Sorry to hear about ya Marrow newb hope it works out for u

that sux about the job and the lq9 motors are pretty good a guy i work with has a 05ss truck and has l92 heads and a big cam 150 shot and one of our 4l65Es and it went 11.7 withfull weight and all

That's pretty much what I'm goin for, but in an S10 lol. I've got an MS3 I plan to use, then sell my Patriots and other parts to fund the top end and ignition setup.

going carbed in the S10? there is a local fox body that runs mid 10s with a carbed head and cam LS3 thats NA with a TH400 with a brake that i Built. It makes me want to step away from my honda more and more every day Seing how much these LSX engines are capable of

Yup, Ill be buildin a Holley 750 HP myself (carbs have always been a hobby for me) then runnin an Edelbrock Victor Jr manifold and some nitrous. I saw an S10 with an LQ9 and outa the box L92's run a mid 10 on slicks with a lil nitrous through an auto. It blows my mind how these things respond to nitrous. My buddies car makes 322/340 N/A and 468/610 on a 100 shot wet kit.

As promised, pics of the Brembos and EBC's.

The new stuff.
IMG_1294.jpg

Old vs. new
IMG_1295.jpg

IMG_1296.jpg

Thats it for now.

Yup its back!

Well, I did the retard mod. I was drivin down a back road, and came up on a mud puddle. While I didnt try to hit it, I didnt try to avoid it because it wasnt very big. Surprise surprise, it was hiding a nasty deep pot hole. Long story short, it smashed in the front cross member, bent the steering rack, bent the drivers side lower A-arm, deployed the air bags and shattered the windshield (this came from the passenger side air bag cover bouncing off the windshield). So, just having the air bags go off fucked my entire dash up, the force from the passenger side busted the mounting tabs on the lower dash, blew the radio outa the dash, knocked the rear view mirror outa the windshield and as mentioned, broke the windshield. The drivers side just toasted the steering wheel.

So, I got a new used steering rack off a car with 1/3 the miles on it. It took a few days because I wanted a rack out of a car with matching RPO codes. Fourth gen F-bodies had like 6 different racks offered in em, and I wanted eaxactly what came in my car. I also just ordered a tubular cross member and tubular control arms. Good for about 30 pounds of weight savings. Windshield is gunna be installed the middle of next week. As for the air bags, the whole system is gettin ripped out and all the deleting hardware is gunna get ordered. It was all comin out anyways, I just didnt plan on doin it this soon.

Im debating on ordering some long tube headers and an off road Y-pipe right now. The swap would be cake with the cross member out. Im gunna drink a lot more beer before I make my decision tonite. :)

As always, pics will follow soon.

Back