newby looking to fix his exhaust system

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

killbydemons

Hey all,

I've got a 2002 Civic EX with a leak somewhere in the exhaust pipe. I'm using this as an excuse to upgrade everything...muffler, pipe, cat, headers. I'm also a total newb when it comes to car tech (computers was always my thing since they're generally cheaper and easier to work on), so this will be my first major project beyond rotating tires and changing oil.

I bought the Haynes repair manual for my car, so I have a general understanding of what tools I need and what to do. But if you guys could recommend a brand to go with on parts, or any advice in general that'd be great.

Thanks

there is actually very little that you wont be able to handle with just a basic metric set of wrenches and sockets

obviously youll want a jack and some jack stands

other than that
some screw drivers
a BFH
some pry bars
a breaker bar
torque wrench

then when you want to start making things a bit easier get a compressor and some air tools

by this point youll probably be experienced enough to know what you want or need going forward

meineke works great... if its your first time, order a catback from somewhere atleast then it will be almost completely bolt on.

pacesetter makes a nice OE replacement catback with slightly larger piping.

youre not going to make huge power with an upgraded exhaust on a civic ex, so in my opinion its not worth blowing a ton of money on.

ive heard good things about megan headers and they are cheap. lots of people use off-brand ebay headers and usually say they fit well, the finish just tarnishes and turns ugly.

for the catback you have two choices, either buy a complete catback, or have a muffler shop make you one. the name brand catbacks will fit well, the cheap ones will probably not and may require modification by an exhaust shop anyways. for your application 2.25" piping is perfect, but if you want 2.5" thats ok too.

If you like saving money have a muffler shop build you a catback.
Dont bother with a header. The ex manifold has plenty of breathing room, although this is an 2002 model, so not sure if honda made a change for the worse.

Back