Newly rebuilt B16a Smoking

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Did you gap the rings first? Weird that they broke during install. Keep us posted

and in case you didn't before, make sure you clock them properly

pistonringspacing.jpg

first of all there not called valve stem seal there called valve seats but anyways ur smoking could be from coolant or exhaust gases escaping from a crack in the cylinder wall that could have occurred during the maching process and the gases are buring the old coolant that was still left in the water jackets as it seeps through the crack

yes the were gapped and clocked, my machinast told me its super easy to break the oil rings on these engines bc theyre pretty fragile, even the person i spoke to at arias told me the same thing

fyi, i've been told that you shouldn't start up your car until you're ready to the actual break it in

first of all there not called valve stem seal there called valve seats

Relax man. Not the best way to enter a thread. We all got the gist of what he was saying.

You did bring up a good point about the ring compressor....but I figured that one was used. Now I am curious lol

Last edited:
me and a friend of mine got around to disassembling the bottom end again last night, turns out.. no broken rings. My machinast set the rings for me and told me all i had to do was compress them and pop the pistons in, my fault for not double checking him, all of the oil rings were clocked wrong, we put new oil rings in just bc i already had them, reassembled everything, car runs beautifully, no oil spitting out into the exhaust manifold, plugs arent covered in oil, still running lean but nothing a tune cant fix, just waiting on a drivers side engine mount and shes ready to be broken in.

DOnt run it anymore....until you can actually drive it. You should get a load on the motor and not let it sit and idle IMO.

Awesome it has worked out thus far!!

what motor should i put in my 1994 civic

i have a 1994 civic with a 1.6 vtec that is losing compression badly.(i think its one of the piston rings).i still drive it every day but it has no power.i dont want to rebuild the motor i would just rather swap it.what would be a decent motor that would bolt right up in it?

yea i know, currently pushing it in and out of the shop everyday at open/close just bc i want to run it as little as possible, my new mount should be in tuesday, putting the fuel pressure regulator in on mon so hopefully by wed i can actually drive it and enjoy all the money i just spent

Back