News Flash

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Value is a function of the faith put into the cars, nobody has faith in Chevy's or Fords anymore, so what people will pay for them, plummets.

Yes I know your mothers brothers uncle had an F150 that was problematic or your distant cousins brothers uncles mom had a Cavalier that fell apart...blah.

My Civic has wind noise like a mother fucker, ask TPP and Domes...it also has had minor problems. Yet I still think it was worth my investment thus far.

Chevrolet Cavalier 23%
Dodge Neon 23%

My two favorites, right where they belong. bottom rung yO!!!

Originally posted by revolution8k@Feb 10 2004, 01:31 PM
It's only worth what someone will pay for it.

Value is a function of the faith put into the cars, nobody has faith in Chevy's or Fords anymore, so what people will pay for them, plummets.

Yes I know your mothers brothers uncle had an F150 that was problematic or your distant cousins brothers uncles mom had a Cavalier that fell apart...blah.

My Civic has wind noise like a mother fucker, ask TPP and Domes...it also has had minor problems. Yet I still think it was worth my investment thus far.

Actually, Consumer Reports did a study a few years back about a similar issue. They surveyed automobile owners about the reliability of their 1992-model cars (nothing to do with resale value). The top cars:

Toyota: 10 models
Honda: 4 models
Nissan: 3 models
Mazda: 1 model
Subaru: 1 model
Mercedes: 1 model
Volvo: 1 model

You might argue that Detroit has finally pulled its head out of its ass now, but until I see a study in 2012 about used 2002 models and there are domestic names on that list, I won't ever go near a domestic car.

I'd like to see that survey, because you know they surveyed the fucking retard that couldn't tell a piston from a spark plug who didnt know 3000 mile oil changes actually help the engine.

I worked with a guy who worked at a dealer...he was tellin me how this one guy couldn't believe his Cavalier broke down after 37k miles regularly...even though he'd never...and I mean never...changed the oil.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Feb 10 2004, 04:19 PM
You might argue that Detroit has finally pulled its head out of its ass now, but until I see a study in 2012 about used 2002 models and there are domestic names on that list, I won't ever go near a domestic car.

:concur:

and aside from that there arent ANY american cars that i like
there are a few trucks that i kinda like but im not in love with them
the only american vehicle i love is the H1 hummer

Originally posted by revolution8k@Feb 10 2004, 02:27 PM
I'd like to see that survey, because you know they surveyed the fucking retard that couldn't tell a piston from a spark plug who didnt know 3000 mile oil changes actually help the engine.

I worked with a guy who worked at a dealer...he was tellin me how this one guy couldn't believe his Cavalier broke down after 37k miles regularly...even though he'd never...and I mean never...changed the oil.

I don't know, if I'm going to believe someone on issues like that, I'd believe Consumer Reports. I mean, I could scan the article that I have clipped and sitting in my drawer here at work ( :) ) but I don't know what good that'd do. I took those results word for word. They stated their source as Consumer Reports, so they weren't taking another source and butchering it.

I agree that the survey could have been slanted, but I wouldn't think that CR would do that.

Also, now that I think about it, that survey is even more amazing, considering that imported cars account for a fraction of auto sales in the US.

wow I am suprise that the new viper is holding its value. Exotics normally lose value quick. On the older vipers, except for the 92's, all would loose 10k off their value in the first year.

But really, this survey, is kinda out of wack. Loosing half the value in 5 years is still a pretty big hit, and the fact that they say a Mini will lose 5x% in 5 years, I dont believe it. Right now, 2002 mini's (2 years old now) are still going for only 1000 or so less then what they were bought at.

Civics have higher 5 year turn arounds then alot of these. Heck, I think odyesses have better resale value of 50% after 5 years.. 99 odyesses go for 13 still and thats 6 yrs. (I know since my parents were selling theres a few months ago)

eh. I don't even know why i responded. I don't care anymore, cars that are born in the US with US workers and all the money staying in the US is a bad thing I guess. :shrug2:

Originally posted by revolution8k@Feb 11 2004, 12:46 AM
eh. I don't even know why i responded. I don't care anymore, cars that are born in the US with US workers and all the money staying in the US is a bad thing I guess. :shrug2:

Eh thats a bunch of crap. DC money is going over to Germany, and alot of Dodges cars are made in mexico (as well as other american car companys) while many EG's, some accords (the v6 one for sure) are made here in the states, with you guessed it, american workers.

Yes, you're right, but the bulk of the money when you buy an Accord or whatever goes to Japan.

Just like when you bought a Camaro, the money goes to GM. Even when you :buyanm: most of the money goes to Germany, even if it's built in the states.

Originally posted by revolution8k@Feb 11 2004, 01:08 AM
Yes, you're right, but the bulk of the money when you buy an Accord or whatever goes to Japan.

Just like when you bought a Camaro, the money goes to GM. Even when you :buyanm: most of the money goes to Germany, even if it's built in the states.

So what your saying is you rather have some of your money go to mexican/non US workers, and the majority of it go to Big bussness which is defently not your average blue collar american worker but the big CEO's that have multimillion dollar sallerys, instead of some money going to US factory workers, and the rest going to overseas rich mofo's. Personally, I would rather help out the american blue collar then the american CEO

personally i dont give half a rat fuck about who gets paid

i want a quality car that meets my requirements (good handling, good performance, decent reliability, good styling, potential to be improved upon)... and i will go to whoever offers it

Honda - im not in LOVE with hondas... i happened to own one and found that it had potential to be made quite good for what i like to do

BMW - LOVE the style... lots of potential to be made even better... great quality... excelent performance

Porsche - i love the style of the older 911s (mid 90s) the performance is rediculous... reliability is good... ass loads of potential to be made even better

Lotus - makers of my current favorite car out there, the elise / exige... very good performance... very good reliability... lots of potential... BEST HANDLING PRODUCTION CAR IN THE WORLD (1.47 lateral G)... all for under $40K :worthy:

Originally posted by asmallsol+Feb 11 2004, 12:24 AM-->
revolution8k
@Feb 11 2004, 01:08 AM

So what your saying is you rather have some of your money go to mexican/non US workers, and the majority of it go to Big bussness which is defently not your average blue collar american worker but the big CEO's that have multimillion dollar sallerys, instead of some money going to US factory workers, and the rest going to overseas rich mofo's. Personally, I would rather help out the american blue collar then the american CEO

He hit the nail right on the head....

Its like most computer companies they are all moving over seas thanks to the fact it cost 1/4 the money to pay some random guy from who knows what country

I think its total BS that most US car companys build their cars outside this country

its like Harley Davidson I think that company is a total piece of crap

USA this USA that

too bad 95% of their shit is made over seas go into any harley store pick up a 20 dollar tshirt a 20 dollar hat or a 5 dollar sticker and look where its made....

same goes for their bikes

it might be pieced together in the states but the parts sure as hell did not come from here

now, i am probably going to piss most of you off by saying this, but america builds their cars like how they live...you have to admit, us americans are a bunch of lazy asses who like to make shortcuts...now take japan on the other hand...70% of people working in japan are workaholics...they make the best possible products and it shows, on surveys like these.

Originally posted by asmallsol+Feb 11 2004, 12:24 AM-->
revolution8k
@Feb 11 2004, 01:08 AM

I'm not the cheap ass CEO that moved my production out of hte country to save a few pennies. I'd rather the American worker get the money...and guess what...I did just that notice I'm driving a Civic which was built in the US? But most of the money STILL goes to Japan.

I buy products that I see as high-quality and a good value for my money. Cars, where I live, my computer, etc. Fuck where it was built or where the money is going. I'm not going to buy a turd with a "Made In The USA" badge on it just because of the badge (car or otherwise). As I said, if Detroit pulls its head out of its ass in the coming years, then I'll reconsider my choice in cars. Until then, I won't touch a piece of dung domestic automobile.

even if our money goes to japan, its not like they can really spend it there. if they cant spend it there, where do they go to spend it? where else then in america?

see it's a giant circle. we buy things from they, they get money, then they buy more things from us. basically how the economy works.

Back