Next project....Yard.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Airjockie

Watanabe Whore!!!
Rest In Peace
I'm going to call for a truck to come and drop off a 20 yarder dumpster today, and have it for me in the morning. Prolly be another $500 COD, but have them drop it off in the back yard, and I can start to load it up with the piles of junk I have....and Sat, try to cut down two tree's, one...I can handle by myself, the other one will have to be done by my neighbor...he used to own a tree cutting service. Anyays, get them loaded up, and see if there is enough room to put the walls from the outside of the garage in there. If there is room, after all this junk is loaded up, then I'll tear apart the basement, and maybe a room in the house...goal is to have the thing filled as much as possible before the neighbors contracted yard guys come to do his yard...we're working together on this...he;s got a guy that will come and yank about 15 stumps, and level his back yard. He's planning on getting two trucks of screened topsoil dumped, and then spread evenly on yard, and he''ll plant some grass...and kick back for the rest of the year.

I got to do about the same...he's paying about $700 for the tractors and the guys time to do it...should be about 4 hours....and since....they are already here, I might as well have them whack up my lawns and clear the crap out and get some decent soil layed down. I'll prolly have about $1300 to spend on this...so I'm hoping I can get the tractors for a little less than what he's getting them for, since my stuff will be mostly leveling, and not stump pulling...but I'll prolly have to get about 3-4 trucks of screened topsoil dumped everywhere...and I'm not sure what the running rate for topsoil is nowadays. the goal is to get the yard of my neighbors land to match my land...and have all the same grass flowing so we all can jump on our tractors on a sunday afternoon, and have fun. But I also have to do more stuff to dress up the lawn, lice more paving stones, a truck load of white gravel...etc...so I'll be spending a lot of time cleaning the place up before fall...if I can get the lawn as maintenace free as possible, and snazzy bling bling as possible...then next year all I have to do is concentrate on the interior of the house.

Any lawn guys here want to make a few bucks?

Clayton... Don't get that much topsoil... You need fill... Not Topsoil for the amount of levelling your yard needs...

And are they PULLING his stumps? Or grinding them?

WARNING!!!!!!

My first time photochopping while drinking beer. :ph34r:

A pic of what it looks like now....

DSC00340.JPG

And I want to raise the level of sand to the level the house is at, with normal fill, then a layer of topsoil, a retaining wall, and the drive way walkway will lead to some stairs, and the door will be right there(not yet photochoped in) and that will be the going to the extention of the kitchen that we want to build. I want to make it to where the lawn mower will just have to be driven the easiest way possible, and to look better than the wavey lawn that I have now. Object is to get it looking good and easier to maintain. This is what's cooking in my head right now, and it is my first photoshop in a while...but it kinda looks good.

DSC00340PC1.JPG

The present porch will be torn down, and the same shape of the porch will be built as an extension of the house, to give us a sun romm, and lengthen the kitchen, and the same present partially inclosed deck will be added with stairs to go to the garage.

Feel free to gander at some of these pick, and photoshop some ideas into them, and if I like the idea, and the wife likes they idea, and we use it,......then you might have $50 added to your paypal account. I like anything, it's the wife thats picky...so good luck. :wink:

http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/a...eway/?g2_page=4
http://www.redpepperracing.com/gallery/v/a...eway/?g2_page=5

Sounds like a good idea to me for the backyard, but for around the driveway I wouldn't raise the grade too much. Personally, I'd edge it with some landscape timbers and backfill with some soil - mulch around the edges and be done with it. Another suggestion would be redoing the walkway from the driveway to the basement/house with either bluestone or concrete blocks. Dig a nice wide swath, maybe 3-4" deep, lay some weedguard, sand and crushed stone - and put the blocks on top of them.

I'm going to need a new back :cry:

anyways, an update.

The dumpster didn't show up till mid afternoon on Sat...oh well...buy sat night I had a lot of crap loaded up, then all day sunday and monday, just piling crap into it, and filled it to the top on tuesday. Called them to come pick it up on Wed, but they didn't have the nerve to drive past a tree I cut down, so I had to move that tree, and they just came to pick up the container, weigh it, dump it and bring it back to me till next Sat.

Now heres the kicker...

only me and the wife was filling it....and I needed a third hand to help budge that old furnace into it...but that was it. but in just 3-4 days of back breaking work...we got 7,180 lbs of crap removed from the property :blink: at a cost of only $446.20 so far.

now to get the rest of the back yard crap thats been there for years loaded up, the old Z block with the bad conrod, some more junk from the basement, and a huge pine tree....and we'll be done in time for the guy with the tractor to come drop some fill and plow everything...then plant some grass, dress up the yard with some paver stones and call the project done... :laugh:

Quoted post[/post]]
20 yarder dumpster today, and have it for me in the morning. Prolly be another $500 COD

damn I was paying $550 flat rate for a 40yard and I could keep it as long as I needed with a 6 ton limit.
Check out Cherry Hill (brandford), or Balderacchi (wallingford)

Why are you throwing away wood? Do you have a fireplace or a firepit? Chop that stuff up and have free heat or entertainment for a year or two.

Hell, I'm sure Noah would take the wood free to use in his firepit.

well, I have the pine tree cut up to be firewood, it would make a great firepit firewood, burns fast, burns hot, and smells good. You just can't burn it in a normal wood household fireplace, it leaves crap in the flue....but for a firepit wood...it's perfect. He just needs to come pick it up, splite it now, and by the end of the summer it will be ready to burn. Right now were stacking it in my neighbors firewood pile. And he has plenty of wood for my firepit already split and cured.

My fire pit is not built yet, and also with this redflag crap now, you can't burn anything. :cry:

If you need anything drawn up, I took a landscape architecture course this semester - and have hookups at the school. :)

And I've landscaped for the past 3 years. I've done pavers, retaining walls, new lawns, renovated old lawns, plantings, etc.

Let me know if you have question on anything.

oh stop! haha I don't want to make money, but I'd love to tell you what you need, how to do it, etc. If you tell me what you have in mind and get me good pictures of all the areas I can definitely lay out some plans, sketches, etc and give you some ideas.

I've got a pretty good handle on what works, what doesn't, etc. I suppose a trip to CT for the weekend to help out and get everything done certainly isn't out of the question either! :p

I'm done with school in two weeks

Deer aren't a problem in your area are they? That's the single biggest factor we have to account for in my area. Plantings have to be picked sooo carefully to prevent those demons from destroying everything. You're basically limited to barberry, conifers and MAYBE boxwoods, euyanamous and ornamental grasses, which kinda sucks. Almost all flowers are fair game, even the ones they say deer won't eat.

Quoted post[/post]]
Deer aren't a problem in your area are they? That's the single biggest factor we have to account for in my area. Plantings have to be picked sooo carefully to prevent those demons from destroying everything. You're basically limited to barberry, conifers and MAYBE boxwoods, euyanamous and ornamental grasses, which kinda sucks. Almost all flowers are fair game, even the ones they say deer won't eat.
At my grandma's they won't eat the flowers on the deck. However they do eat them on the other deck that has two entances/exits from the yard.

Split it for me and i'll be down asap for it... :mrgreen:

And yes my pit is surrounded by mulch... its a small firepit, and this year is getting stone rings around it, as well as flat stone over the mulch...

Don't like it? Go Silicone something to the dash of your mirage... :p

weeeeelllllp.....

The yard guys finally showed up, I busted ass yesterday clearing all the crap again, and right now there is a bulldover and an excavator doing their stuff....

I gave up on the retaining wall idea for the side of the house, and went with just a flush grade to the driveway....since I popped the Z's door off, and if there is a wall there, it would be cramped to open the car doors....anyways....it's going to look like a battlefeild soon....

They got here at 7:30 this morning...and they already got the west-side of the house done...now one guy is working on the front of the house, and another guy already pulled up two stumps, cleared my rock pile, and is digging a huge hole to bury the rocks and stumps. Another guy already brought 2 truck loads of freshly fluffed topsoil, and dumped it on the front lawn. And 2 more guys are spreading it by hand. And a guy each for the tractors...

This lawn is going to be sweet..

Back