next step to take

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

fixncivic

hi, i currently own a 96 honda civic ex with AEM cai, cam gear, pulleys, Pacesetter headers and cat, APEXI cat back exhaust, and a BnM short shifter. i am trying to figure out if i should build up the block now, or upgrade the fuel system: fuel rail,pump,injectors, and pressure regulator. If you have any advice, it would be appreciated. Also, it has 124,000 miles.

You only would actually need to do any sort of fuel system if you plan on boosting... so if not, dont bother with the fuel. what motor do ou have?

If i were you, i would sell haf that stuff and swap, OR boost and continue with the Fuel upgrades. Of coarse if you do end up boosting, you will also want to build up the internals, if you plan on running more than 8 PSI. With a turbo, set a POWER goal, not a PSI goal (this will save you from getting flamed later on)

So, to summarize....

1) Swap ou the motor, sell the old one, to help with the cost of the swap.

2) Boost your motor. Build internals, Eagle rods, JE pistons, or wiesco pistons, sleeves, ARP bolts, studs all around. Upgrade your fuel setup, bigger injectors (450 and up), FMU, pump, etc.

My vote would be to swap, and then evetually build the swap for boost... hope this helps you decide.

and yes.. this is hondaswap, not

whatshouldidonmyhondanext.com

i have a d16y8 engine. i have previously toyed with the idea of doing a swap but i couldnt decide which engine to get. i thought maybe go ls/vtec, it would be cheaper, or go with a b16a1.

b16's are dirt cheap...

what are your plans for the car? you shouldn't have to do anything to the fuel system unless your going for FI or thinking of having some kind of all motor monster...

if you stay with the D16Y8 i say build the block...they're right, no need to upgrade your fuel system unless you're going turbo or building a crazy motor
cams, pistons, port and polish stuff, it all helps

the plan for this car was to be a street racer/daily driver.

stay with what you got and just turbo it. you dont need hi-po parts on the inside for it to be "built" either. you can also run 32psi on stock internals if you know what youre doin.

just look around for a d16y8 you can slowly build on. buy the engine and tear it down. simply have the rods beaded/polished, buy new pistons/rings, and have the crank balanced for longevity. of course have the block bored/honed the minimal amount possible, this will allow for a further rebuild down the road. buy reputable main/rod bearings. have the head cleaned out but a full pnp isnt necessary. also have the IM cleaned up. then have everything on the intake side matched. TB matched to IM matched to head. ungrade the valve train with crower or toda, or ferrea if you want to go the xtra mile. have the machine shop cut 5 angle seats in and have the head R&R'd. (cut, cam holders align honed, etc... and buy a new timing belt. this right here is very dependable, probably to around 450hp, so long as its tuned properly.

use an msd 6btm ignition or hondata ecu for final tuning.

you can piece together a turbo kit from a junkyard. you can take a factory turbo from an eclipse, send it to a turbo house and have it R&R'd, balanced out, etc... a stock hf EM will bolt to the turbo/head. buy a downpipe. if you dont want a junkyard BOV, splurge and buy one that looks cool, or perks your interests. dont buy a liquid/air IC cause they are for race only...stay with an air/air IC.

take your time, have a reputable machine shop perform the necessary work and you will have a turbo'd engine that will last over 125k miles. and then with the engine you pull out of your civic, you can sell it or start the rebuild process all over again having even more fun with it.

Originally posted by VenomPowered@Dec 14 2003, 08:17 PM
Yes this is Honda swap but this is under the engine building forum this area is designed to ask question like he asked.

he asked for opinions,I gave him one........ :newbie:

Back