Ninja Fuel!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

humblegumbo

1595cc's of Mad Fury
About 1/2 the fuel capacity has gone all ninja and disappeared on me. See if you can help me out here.

The fuel capacity on 1991 CRX is listed at just over 11 gallons. I used to refill after about 300 miles driven and she'd take about ten gallons w/ the guage reading about empty. Not too bad, right?

At some point, the engine started dying around a 1/2 tank and 160 miles. Around the same time I had some electrical gremlins that caused, among other things, the fuel guage to stop working entirely. Then the fuel pump ate it, so I replaced it. I finally broke down and had a shop troubleshoot and fix electrical gremlins that plagued the guages and turn signals.

So, now I'm very happy that everything appears to be in working order. However, now after driving about 160 miles, the fuel guage reads empty, engine starts to stall, when I fill her up she takes 6 gallons.

I know the tank is physically the same size. I have not touched the fuel meter unit. So, where did my other six gallons of fuel go? I'm getting tired of dropping the tank to look for it.

Thanks for reading this far.

ITT pics of ninjas also welcome.
ninja.jpg

The one every fucking ass clown on this site thought was serious. :rolleyes:
i must have missed that thread. i guess we just need a picture of when you were 14. i thought it could have been you or a little brother.

As much fun as it is to rip on Blanco....

Does any body have a clue how my gas tank learned ninjutsu? Or, at least, pics of those wacky ninjas?

Last edited:
along with some minor electrical problem you probily have a leak some where in the system. just a thought.

The thing that gets me is the fact that he can put 6 gallons back in it...thats just strange.

Personally, i would run it empty, then take off the fuel line that connects to the filter and see if any fuel comes out when you turn the key on.

If so, you might just have a clog in the system....why it always happends at 160 miles, i dont know, but just a thought.

ALMOST FORGOT:

gasninja.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, thanks!

No, there is no leak. I've checked the whole system.

Secondly, If I run it "empty"...where the guage reads 'E' and the engine won't start...there's still a 1/2 tank or so of fuel in the tank when I drop it and look. That's the wierd part that keeps me up at night.

Also keeping me up at night, ninjas on mopeds.

This leads me to believe that what I have here is a bad case of NINJA PIRATES!!!!!

mt1129151775.jpg

maybe your fuel pump is fucked up?

Possibly, but not too likely. It was brand new when installed, about the same time this issue popped up. If I fucked up the installation, which is not unbelievable, then why would the guage be fucked too? I never touched that.

chucknor8crop8ou.jpg

How does the gas gauge read your fuel level? Is it the pump? Maybe the pump can't reach the bottom of the fluid or something? Maybe I am dreaming?

I love you all
Ic3

My understanding is that the Fuel Meter Unit (#14 below) transmits the fuel level to the guage independant of the pump.
13sh20_b03.gif

I've checked the pump at least four times, and it does seem to reach the bottom of the tank. However, I am going to try (as soon as I finish this beer) to fit a fuel-safe hose to the inlet & see if that makes a difference.

Maybe this is the result of the NinJews chillin' in the garage. You never know.
ninjew.jpg

The mystery deepens here. When I swapped out the pump, it was only the pump that was swapped. I used the stock bracket and hoses already on the car. This bracket positions the pump in a pretty specific location, and there is no way to install it incorrectly due to an unequal bolt pattern. The hard lines are also kind of a clue.

So, this pump has to reach at least as far down into the tank as the old one.

I've dropped the tank once again. The trip odo reads like 170, the guage reads 1/8 but there's plenty fuel in there. But no ninjas. At least not that I can find. WTF?

I may make another attempt to attatch a fuel line between the pump and the internal filter, but I haven't come up w/ an effective and reliable method of doing so short of the application of more JBWeld...which I do not have time to wait to dry anyway.

CAUTION___British_Ninja_by_falsariu.jpg

Back