Nissan Datsun 280zx drift project.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

You'll notice that a good exhaust on that straight-six makes it sound like a WAY bigger engine than it is. I always loved the sound of the L-series.

Technologically ancient, though. Couldn't even be arsed to make a crossflow head.

You'll notice that a good exhaust on that straight-six makes it sound like a WAY bigger engine than it is. I always loved the sound of the L-series.

Technologically ancient, though. Couldn't even be arsed to make a crossflow head.

It's hilarious looking at the engine and just thinking "Why in the hell would they do it like that!??!" Or, just looking at parts and going "OMFGZ THAT'S HUGE!"...when now its made like 10x smaller than it was.

Oh, btw...fully loaded sucks...there is probably over 100lbs of wire in that damn car. Maybe an exageration, but I can't be too far off...

Butsrsly, nothing sounds like an L-series.

Looks like the secret is out... thanks, butthole. lol

I'd easily sell everything I own for a nice S30 with the DOHC crossflow racing head on it. Oh god.

And you'd need to. The crossflow thing bothers me too, but I really can't see much of a way around it. I sort of "fixed" the head issues today, but I can't really do much more to improve flow at this point beyond a very expensive/laborious port and polish. Not in the cards now, just want it running in the car asap.

The thing about port/polish on the L head is that I really don't think it improves that much. You've got a lot of factors working against you, especially the whole "exhaust manifold heating the intake manifold" thing. makes it a real challenge to keep a cold air charge.

The thing about port/polish on the L head is that I really don't think it improves that much. You've got a lot of factors working against you, especially the whole "exhaust manifold heating the intake manifold" thing. makes it a real challenge to keep a cold air charge.

Still doesn't stop me from thinking about swain coating my entire engine, lol.

I had people shit bricks when I told them my s10 was the 2.8. They thought it was a 305 or 350 by the sound. I can't even believe how good it sounded. all it was was factory headers, into one, 2.5 I think, then a flowmaster right before the bed. That sombitch rumbled.

Back