Nissan develops "eco" pedal to push back when you stomp

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

awptickes

unimpressed by you
VIP
Nissan develops eco pedal to assist smart driving | Industries | Consumer Goods & Retail | Reuters

In soviet russia, the gas pedal pushes you!

This is awesome. I can't tell you how much gas this'll save the average American. People need to get the idea that you don't have to go WOT to get going from a red light.

Honestly, it'll probably make people more courtous on the roads too. When the car tells you "Woah buddy, not so hard!" it'll change peoples' minds. Unfortunately, this will probably only ever be a feature that's turned off by default.

I'm glad to see that Nissan is taking another route to increase fuel economy. It's become aparent that most people don't care about the MPG meter in their cluster. Honda's sollution is to electronicly control the gas pedal, giving the ECU the ability to open up the throttle plate on its own, but it doesn't judge how much acceleration is too much....

Last edited:
So what happens when you're making a left turn with a small window of opportunity? It won't let you go WOT and you get tagged by opposing traffic? Good idea, and I agree with you that people tag the pedal through the floor off red lights, but a lot of times WOT is a necessity.

It's got issues, yeah. I'd have problems with it on the autobahn. Sometimes there's only a 5 meter opening to pass in. Not to mention having to go from 50km/h to 140km/h to get going with traffic when you get on.

i've gotten hooked to watching the wideband in my civic
-20vac = low 14's
-10vac = low 13's
+7 = 10's
still need to get it tuned

that is fucking retarded and so is Nissan. They are also making the development harder on themselves. Why not work smarter, not harder, and just limit the pedal travel instead of making something that pushes back? Fucking rookies...

Cars aren't supposed to "think" in the first place. They're just supposed to drive. Who wants a a car that drives but is also the backseat driver?

i cant stand ABS, and there is absolutely no fucking way i would tolerate AAT (Anti Acceleration Throttle)

^^^
You're the second person I've ever heard that has come out and said that about ABS. My dad also hates it, so turns it off when he can.

ABS stops you slower but safer, So its a personal choice i guess

i havent been fortunate enough to ever drive a car with ABS equipped

I jacked my dad's Jeep when I was 15, but that was first car I ever really got to drive, so I don't know lol. His Jeep had ABS.

exactly, But the diffrence in price on cars with & w/o is crazy

i wouldnt even consider ABS when buying a car, its pointless

you pretty much can't buy a car without it now...

So what happens when you're making a left turn with a small window of opportunity? It won't let you go WOT and you get tagged by opposing traffic? Good idea, and I agree with you that people tag the pedal through the floor off red lights, but a lot of times WOT is a necessity.

Apparently it's something you can turn on and off, not something you have to abide by...

Back