Nitrous problems...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ChrisSiR

I finnaly got my nitrous installed, but im running into a bit of an issue, first some basics, its a zex wet kit on a b16a (obd0) w/ the 55 shot , and zex plugs, fuel pump is stock as far as i know(sounds alot like a big walbro) and i live in colorado where the air is thin....

heres my problem, the nitrous engages just fine, and i get about 2500 (spraying from 3300 - 6000 rpms useing a switch) rpms worth of spray, and then the motor feels like its bogging down REALLY bad (no pull, vibration and the motor almost dies off when i push the clutch in to let the rpms fall) as soon as all is done, the car returns to normal running condition, according to the plugs, the mixture seems to be just about perfect.... ive adjusted the timeing a few times (to the point where its completely retarded), after replaceing the plugs with the colder zex plugs, i seem to have a bit of a miss at lower rpms

any idea's?

is it safe to run with reg platinum plugs? (maybe the problem lies in the plugs missing)

could it be low fuel pressure? (robbing the injector's)

could it be that my fuel jet is a bit big? useing the .032 nitrous .036 fuel

it sound like your not get n02 have you check to se it the tank is fully and propely postion with the valve higher than the bottom of the tank, and that the valve is open and the line not kinked. have you check to see if both solinoids are working?

I support the idea that your not getting nitrous delivery also. It souds like you are entering a super rich condition and the engine is trying to die. First check your tank and lines. Then check for ecu related fuel issues.

hi
i experienced something exactly like that on my b16a2, and i finally figured out what it was, it is a few things that lead to that:-

1. have you retarded your timing if so how much u need about 2 deg 55 shot
2. the zex plugs are absolutely crap get rid of them and buy some ngk-r (bkr7e-11)
3. make sue ure plugs are gapped properly i think its 0.35-.40

finally make sure that nitrous nozzle is inserted properly into the intake and is not coming out when engaging and also that all the connections are very tight and nos is not leaking

do this and u shud be ok. keep us updated with what happens ;)

Originally posted by bvtec@Jun 18 2004, 09:41 AM
hi
i experienced something exactly like that on my b16a2, and i finally figured out what it was, it is a few things that lead to that:-

1. have you retarded your timing if so how much u need about 2 deg 55 shot
2. the zex plugs are absolutely crap get rid of them and buy some ngk-r (bkr7e-11)
3. make sue ure plugs are gapped properly i think its 0.35-.40

finally make sure that nitrous nozzle is inserted properly into the intake and is not coming out when engaging and also that all the connections are very tight and nos is not leaking

do this and u shud be ok. keep us updated with what happens ;)

Haha, this came a day too late... i found out that those plugs are a waste (on a stock ignition anyways) i was basically miss fireing, and getting all thats hit plugged up in there with no spark..... i swapped in the reg Plat plugs that were in the car to begin with, retarded the timeing( started full, and braught it back a few degree's each pass) and im good to go...

it still feels a BIT rich way up top (around 6000), and the plugs look to be runnin rich...

'Thanks for the info tho, i guess the R6 (i think thats them) plugs are the way to go at high Alt... the reg plats and a bit of retard should get me by until i get ahold of some...

Originally posted by 97hatch@Jun 18 2004, 05:18 PM
that missing could also be detonation so watch out

Well, the plugs show no sign of detonation, but do show that its runnin a bit rich(and im going to keep it there).... im pretty sure it was the plugs just not fireing, or fireing hot enough to ignite the mixture....

Hmm, well... i thought wrong... i swapped out the fuel Jet (to a .035) and the car seems to run REALLY well when cold... but when it heats up, it starts to bog again, im still trying to get ahold of some NGK plugs, so in the mean time, im useing the reg platinums, any suggestions guys? (this is all new to me)

u probably need cold type spark plugs trust me those platinum plugs will become too hot and become glow plugs, get some 2 step cold plugs bkr7e-11 will do u
<_<

Originally posted by bvtec@Jun 20 2004, 09:02 AM
u probably need cold type spark plugs trust me those platinum plugs will become too hot and become glow plugs, get some 2 step cold plugs bkr7e-11 will do u
<_<

Thanks, i'll try those.....

also, ive noticed i have a small nitrous leak right before the NMU and the purge adapter... everything is tight, but it still seems to leak, is the zex purge kits known for this? (btw, this leak is new)

Mine seems to have a slow leak as well. I put some thread sealant on my connections, and torqued them down as best I could. I also tightened up the fittings that came on the NMU, but didn't over tighten them since I didn't know how far in they should really go. I was going to call ZEX later and see how much I could torque them.

Make sure that you get NGK plugs that at least one step colder than stock, bad spark plugs or a problem with your ignition system can completly kill your NO2 power. Make sure that you have good bottle pressure cause if you dont have a lot of pressure I have felt the problem you are desribing happen where you get a boost and then the power bogs out cause there is little pressure in the line and your getting too much fuel

Originally posted by hcivic.com@Jun 21 2004, 02:34 PM
use teflon tape on the joint

I'm fairly certain the zex instructions said not to use teflon. If not the instructions, it may have been the guy at the shop i got the kit at who told me not to use tape. One or the other recommended using pipe thread sealer.

Originally posted by spydy43@Jun 21 2004, 05:09 PM
Make sure that you get NGK plugs that at least one step colder than stock, bad spark plugs or a problem with your ignition system can completly kill your NO2 power. Make sure that you have good bottle pressure cause if you dont have a lot of pressure I have felt the problem you are desribing happen where you get a boost and then the power bogs out cause there is little pressure in the line and your getting too much fuel

Im workin on the NGk's... i guess its time to buy a guage...

im glad other people are having problems with this, and im not the only one... ive run up and down the nitrous line from the bottle, and thats the only leak... has anything anyone tried worked? it almost seems like its leaking from the "plug" on the opposite end of where the line going to the purge sol. comes out of the fitting

any reason as to why the bottle pressure wouldnt be good enough? should i purchase a warmer?

If the temperature is not high enough the bottle will not maintain a good pressure all the time, I can tell you from experience that not having a bottle warmer leaves you with much less horsepower it is a noticeable difference. If you live where it gets pretty hot outside your bottle will probably get hot to the touch, so check if the bottle feels hot and you experience this problem I would not think it is a pressure problem if it is warm to cool when you have the problem I would look into getting a bottle warmer.

Back