Nitrous! Yes Or No

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Qwikcivic

Like the tilte says I'm thinking about buying a NOS nitrous setup. Just need some details before the purchase. For example wet or dry system? Look at sig for car and motor details stock internals on the block. This is my daily driver and I won't be abusing the nitrous just using it ocasionally. I don't have the money to turbo or N/A this motor so this is an option. But if it's not worth it then I won't do it. Just lookin for advise. Thanks

If you want a quick boost once in awhile then nitrous is the way to go but if you want always on and available power I would save up for another option. If you go with a nitrous kit I would go with a wet system so your engine is not running too lean. You may have to upgrade your fuel system to make sure that your getting enough fuel so keep that in mind. I recommend getting a bottle heater to make sure you are getting as much HP out of your kit possible, there is a noticeable difference if you run without one. Look to spend about $900 on a wet kit with accessories brand new. If you want a used one let me know I got one available.

NOS has a kit for the gsr motor which is pretty bad ass and makes it a direct port kit. It would be worth the extra money. I would say you can do like a 75 shot safetly running 93 octane. If you want to go higher you will need to retard your timing, use a more powerful fuel pump, and reccomend race gas. Nitrous is fun but just make sure you do it right and dont half ass the set up.

I've seen the NOS kit for the GSR but it has a plate the goes between the GSR's stock two piece manifold and I have the 1 piece Skunk2 so that't not an option. Also I did'nt think it was that much money for a setup($900) I've seen them for like $500 a kit but do the accessories really add up to that? If it's that much maybe I should just save it for boost. Opinions?

I have seen latly two hondas that have blown up because of nitrous use. Both of them were using some sort of fuel management, one was using hondata. The one with hondata had the piston rings which were some sort of specificly made for nitrous rings, had a 50 shot on a sleved 2.0l LS/VTEC and the rings heated up so much that the ring gap closed up so tight that it popped the cap off the piston.
The other one had a VAFC and some sort of ZEX set up. It was a B16 and it had a melted piston, I did not get as much detail about that motor, but one minute it worked he flipped the 50 shot switch and within a few seconds his motor was dead.

look at it this way: $400-to-$500(new) you could get the zex dry kit. that has 3 nozzles 55, 65, and 75 shot. and around where i live it cost's me $48 to fill me tank.

now all your getting is an extra boost at that curtain time. now if you save up your money. you could do a homemade turbo kit for around $1200-$1700 depending on which parts you get!!. and that power is always there. and you'll never have to fill up a bottle to use it!

just alittle food for thought!

if your trigger happy and reliability and long term use isn't your criteria then juice the shit out of it.

or you can save up for a good turbo kit, spend 4k and run 7psi all day long

I'm not a nitrous guy. I want more power all the time. I like on demand power, daily, hourly, by the fucking minute.

I'd blow my motor for sure with nitrous. That, or I'd run the bottle dry in a day.

hey man whats happing i was lookin at the nos systems and i see you have a used one what r u looking to see it for ? msg me back with the info if posibel? thanx alot
"Marc"
Originally posted by spydy43@Jul 28 2004, 05:17 PM
If you want a quick boost once in awhile then nitrous is the way to go but if you want always on and available power I would save up for another option. If you go with a nitrous kit I would go with a wet system so your engine is not running too lean. You may have to upgrade your fuel system to make sure that your getting enough fuel so keep that in mind. I recommend getting a bottle heater to make sure you are getting as much HP out of your kit possible, there is a noticeable difference if you run without one. Look to spend about $900 on a wet kit with accessories brand new. If you want a used one let me know I got one available.
[post=369428]Quoted post[/post]​

I just bought a zex dry ki for my h22 swaped accord...i bought it for next to nothing so i couldnt say no....but i beleiev if tuned right they can be very safely run...it all depends on what u want....and hopw much u want to spend....

its just as dependable as a turbo or anything else. it all lyes within preperation, control, and tuning. i'm goin juice, but i have enough power on tap to be happy n e ways.

if u dont have enough money for a turbo now, save the money you were gonna spend on the nitrous oxide and that way you will be able to go turbo sooner.

If you want to run nitrous, i recommend you get it dynotuned. my friend was spraying his for a week or so after we hooked it up, till he got it dynotuned, then when it was on the dyno, we found out that it was running way way lean top end. the guy said he was surprised it hasn't blown up already cuz he ran it quite a bit during the week. im thinking about doin nitrous my self, but i still don't know whether or not it is too risky even if you just spray it occasionally, and its tuned for it. does anyone else know.

Both set ups I mentioned above were both tuned, and prepped by reputable shops and still blew up. I would recommend a turbo before nitrous.

People don't realize how cheap turbocharging your car can be. If you know somebody that can weld/fabricate and somebody that can tune, you can get a custom turbo kit together for next to nothing. I ended up spending about $1100 on my whole turbo kit. I didn't get any parts at the junkyard either, I used all new parts except for my DSM 450cc injectors. I also spent an extra $800 for a clutch and exhaust, but you will need those upgrades anyway. I chipped my ECU and used a free ROM editor for fuel management. I made lots of power and my car is very reliable. How much would a complete nitrous system tuned with all the extra stuff you need cost? That's like half of your turbo kit right there at least.

Here's my take on the situation. Nitrous is good but there are two questions you have to answer to when going that route, or any forced induction for that matter.
First, is your block capable of handling the power addition you will be making with the juice on? Keep in mind you are increasing the engine's output by at least 25-30 % with nitrous if not more. You want to make sure your bottom end is built stout enough to handle an increase in output like that. Second, you have to make sure you are tuned well, but obviously all the tuning in the world is not gonna make much difference when you are push 225whp when your block is only able to handle 165 or so (just random numbers). I plan on possibly using nitrous on my next build, but I am building the block to withstand the high cylinder pressures that come from nitrous and high compression motors. I would not use nitrous on a stock block, but I am a generally cautious person when it comes to blowing things up.

i have less than three hundred dollars in my complete zex dry system with every jet made for it...a tank gauge zex spark plugs and a bottle warmer....you build me a turbo kit for that and ill buy it twice yesterday

Back