No 4th or reverse gears in tranny

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mrvanparys

Hey,

I obtained a tranny for a d16z6 last year. It was grinding going into third so I got it for fairly cheap. When I bought it all the gears did work. I opened up the tranny and found a broken shift fork for third gear so I replaced it. I just put the tranny back on my car and first, third and fifth gears work perfectly. The bottom three gears are another story. It will go into second but just barely and I have to pull on the shifter pretty hard. Fourth gear does not go in all the way so it pops back out when I hit the gas, and I can't even get it part way into reverse. I was wondering if anyone had had this problem installing a tranny or a complete swap. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks

first i wouldnt have bought the tranny but you already did so... but i think your problem is your syncrinos (MS)

Did you make sure the Detent balls got put back in?

take it apart, and rebuild it. you did something wrong when you put it together. just play with it. you gotta learn somewhere.

sounds like the synchro rings are damaged. depending on your mechanical prowess, you probably dont want to tackle that kind of job.. :(

Almost sounds like somethings wrong with the shift forks or the linkage

Ya definitely check the linkage, its common to all the gears you pull down in. Shift forks are pairs usually so like 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 will be hard. Syncros will usually go out 1 at a time and progressively get worse grinding noise into the gear.

I agree. The linkeage for 2,4,R is fubared. You probably didn't re-assemble properly and something got messed up. Take it back apart and try again.

Back