no battery charging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civiclxb16

ok here is the deal i got my b16 in and running but i noticed that the lights are dim and after about 10 or 20 mins running the engine starts bogging down. i put a batter charger on that i have and the lights get bright and the engine runs perfect. now on the altenator there was a different plug then what my civic has. i have a 97 civic and the engine is a jdm obd1 b16a2. i took the plug from the obd1 wiring harness and put it on my stock obd2a harness but could i have done something wrong there i matched the wire colors from my stock harness to the new plug and the one on the top was the same as my stock harness! what could i look at or do to get this problem fixed? can i run a wire from the alt right to the battery?

if you think the wires are wrong, try swapping them. just beware of electircal fires :D

in all seriousness, grab your self a manual and a test light/multimeter, and see what kind of resitance/voltage its throwing and match it up

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 8 2004, 02:21 PM
if you think the wires are wrong, try swapping them. just beware of electircal fires :D

in all seriousness, grab your self a manual and a test light/multimeter, and see what kind of resitance/voltage its throwing and match it up
[post=428494]Quoted post[/post]​

ok i got that but what i would like to know is can i put that test light/multimeter on the altenator itself and see if it is letting out a charge so i can rule out that the alt is bad or it was my wiring? because taking that alt out is a &^#*. unless you know an easier way to take it out because it seems like i have to drop the engine on the driver side and un-bolt it from there. i have the helms manual and i check the wiring from the alt and it seems right. i just can't trace the white wire from the top maybe i am missing it but i got to check it over. but if you can give me some info about testing the alt with out taking it out i would like that thanks guys

mines doing the same thing.. i can jump the car and itll start.. but then it wont charge.. turned off the car.. cranked it.. and no power.. might have done osmething with the wiring too.. but all the wires match up.. try to get a new battery.. and see if it dies out.. lol.. maybe the battery is dead..

A bad alternator will permanently drain/kill a good battery. So you both (civiclxb16 & chicken) may have to replace yours after you resolve your alternator or faulty wiring issues. Just an FYI.

well my battery is new and when it is not in the civic it is on the battery tender inside the house. i will put it on and the battery will run great but then begin to get weak then i thorw it on the battery tender and then it is great, well any how, how can i check the brushes on the alt. is there a way to open the alt up and just replace the bushes? i never worked on a alt before so i have no clue, please let me know thanks guys

my boy was having this problem and he was going trew batteries fast (civic gsr)and it was becasue he still had his civic alt hooked up to the gsr so it was draining more than it was making. you might wanna check that out. if you didnt do the swap yourself you never know.

nah i did the swap myself and the alt that was on the engine is what is installed now, but even running the alt right the battery with a home made wire it was not give it a charge at all so i don't know what it could be

Back