No clutch pressure..

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

For some reason I dont have any pressure from my clutch pedal. It WAS completely empty due to swapping the motor. The tranny was a hydro, going to a hydro and I tightened down the line from the chassis to the tranny. Does the car have to run for a minute to build pressure, or do I have to work the clutch pedal to build pressure or could I just be missing something altogether.

you have to bleed the clutch to build up pressure. Get -DOT 3 Brake fluid - (clutch fluid). there will be a little nob type thing that comes out of the tranny in the front. there should be a dust guard over it. and there will be the line going into it. and a bleeder bolt on the side of it. take the bleeder bolt out, and put a towel in your engine compartment. It helps to have a friend help you with this part ---> take the cap off the resivar to the clutch fluid, and have your friend slowly funnel more fluid into the resivar as you need it. Then you have to pump the lever that is under the dust guard. It should push towards the driver side. and brake fluid should shoot out of the bleed a little bit. (thats what the towel is for) keep pumping it for a minute until you get a solid stream coming out each time.then put the bleeder blot back in and tighted it down. then continue pumpign for another minute. Then try the clutch inside the car. It you need more pressure then keep pumping the lever. and keep trying it. That should do the trick.

Darin

If you wanna bleed your clutch the right way, have a friend hop in the car.. (make sure you top off resevoir) have him pump the pedal 3-5 times and hold the pedal down on the last pump, you crack the bleeder screw and have a stream or fluid/air piss out at you. Close the bleeder screw then have him repeat the pumping process / cracking the bleeder till you get solid clear fluid. Keep topping off the resevoir if need be. Then readjust your clutch freeplay if necessary.

try not to get the fluid on your, it likes to heat up quickly :) Just make sure you get ready for the ron jeremy squirt.

Milan

use a hose and put it on the nipple you can watch fluid come out into a bottle but it dosent jiz all over you

Yes but when you pull the piston back up it sucks air back in so you achieve nothing.

Dude I have no idea what you're talking about. When I bleed my brakes I do it the same way I said above. Pump brake pedal, hold it down, open bleeder, close it, repeat.

Originally posted by TripleDigitEK4@Jul 5 2003, 04:11 PM
Dude I have no idea what you're talking about. When I bleed my brakes I do it the same way I said above. Pump brake pedal, hold it down, open bleeder, close it, repeat.

Exactly but instead of running around like a dog.. or having a friend pump your pedal... use the piston!! its a whole hell-of a lot easier. Everything is right there!!!

For brakes obviously you need to use the pedal, but for this pumping the clutch pedal is the same as pushing the piston in. <_<

Are you saying you compress the slave cylinder? Is that the piston you're refering to? That seems like a super PITA if that's what you're refering to

There is also a piston that's inside the clutch master cylinder. That's the one I thought you were refering to since pumping your slave cylinder is rather unorthodox. The way you are trying to do it makes little to no sense. You're supposed to push the fluid from the resevoir (master) to the slave. Not squeezing the slave. You're doing it bass ackwards. Makes no sense what so ever.

If your master is point A
and you slave is point B
and your bleeder is at point B

By pumping from B to A which is what you're saying you're pushing air towards the master and away from the bleeder.

This is the best article I have found about bleeding your clutch....Thanks to teamintegra.net (<best article section on the net)

If your clutch pedal doesn't quite have the pressure it used to, or your clutch fluid just looks old and dirty, it may be time to bleed and/or replace the clutch fluid. Luckily this is probably the easiest fluid change you can do, you won't even need to lift the car for this job.

Items needed:

8mm open or box end wrench
Clear tube (3/8" ID)
One bottle DOT3/DOT4 brake fluid (doesn't have to be full)
A friend to press the clutch pedal for you

Locate the bleeder valve on the clutch slave cylinder.

clutchf1.jpg

Use your 8mm wrench to open the valve one full turn, don't remove it.

Stick your hose over the bleeder valve and have it drop off into a container.

clutchf2.jpg

Be sure to check the clutch fluid level before bleeding the system, you don't want to let it get below the MIN line.

Have your friend pump the clutch pedal to start removing the fluid. Don't be concerned if they tell you the pedal went down to floor and won't come back up on it's own, that's normal. They'll just have to wedge it back up with their foot.

NOTE: When bleeding the system, make sure the cap is ON or you will just be sucking in air

Refill the clutch fluid as necessary to keep it above the MIN line. Since the clutch fluid reservoir is very small you'll have to keep a close eye on it.

clutchf3.jpg

just had some extra ATE brake fluid left over from my brake fluid change so I decided to just use it since it is a DOT3/DOT4 fluid. But high performance fluids are not necessary for the clutch fluid so you can just use regular cheap DOT3 or DOT4 fluid and it won't make a difference.

When you see the fluid in the hose change completely from the old color to the new color then you know the system has been flushed and is now full of new clutch fluid. Have your friend do one last press of the clutch pedal and tighten the bleeder valve once the pedal hits the floor. Since you can't use a torque wrench on the bleeder valve, it's important to note it does not need to be very tight so don't try overtightening it and just snug it up with your wrench.

Pump the clutch pedal again and the pressure should return. And that's all, you're finished.

Back