No Compression aft reman head install 94 teg RS

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Kraig7

What am I missing :confused:
I've got a 94 Integra RS (non-VTEC) 230k
my timing belt broke & it took out some valves (80lbs on #1, 120lbs on 2 & 4, & zero on #3 ) so i had the head rebuilt.

1st Install. After reinstalling it wouldn't start so i checked compression again & got 120 on #1, 60lbs on #2 & zero on 3 & 4. So i assumed i must have turned the crank with the camshafts torqued down :wallbash: (tho i would swear i didn't) so i returned the head to the shop & they said they found some bent valves which they replaced.

2nd Install After reinstalling the head again (i'm getting quicker @ it) i found almost the same thing, 120lbs on 1 & zero on 2,3 & 4, (after i called & told them what happened, the shop told me that "there were a couple valves that wouldn't line up perfectly so he replaced 4 more valves") I'm assuming it's the same problem as the 1st Install

I had the crank on TDC & the sprocket arrows pointing exactly on the line on the back cover. In the 2nd Install i took a shortcut & didn't pull the crankshaft pulley & lower covers & just levered the camshafts into place & everything lined-up perfect. Is that a bad thing? It sure saved some time.

Thanks for any ideas anyone might have :worthy:

zero on 3 scares me.

3 is the hottest cyl (due to placement and firing order). it's very possible that you have bottom end issues too. #3 might be cracked

Sadly....you probably could have found a long block out of an newer Intergra (converted to OBD1 with all you stuff you still have)
These motors go for about $500-600

No headaches and such. Plus with a super bad cylinder.....not the smart money to rebuild the head.

I'm assuming that i have to have a timing issue of some sort because 2 & 4 originally were both OK after i replaced the timing belt, but now have nothing.

thats not to say that there couldn't be a prob w/ #3 but something else is going on here.

By the way, all 4 will hold water w/o leaking so there can't be too major leaks in the valves

Figured it out.

aft the reman the valve lash needed to be reset, it was holding my valves open.

Live and learn.

Back