No Compression in 3 cylinders Why?????

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

alexfleury

My 91 EX was running fine, and just lost power on the Interstate.

Cam belt was OK engine still in time.

One cylinder (number 3) had 110 lbs. the other 3 had 55 lbs and the inside of the head and cylinder looked like they had been "washed down" and were unusually clean. The cylinder that had 110, had some carbon coating and looked like you would expect inside a high mileage motor (260K miles)

What would cause 3 cylinders to suddenly lose compression?

The head gasket basically just pulled apart when they took the head off, so it didn't tell me anything.

Head went out to the machine shop and was fine. Ther just didn't seem to be anything wrong with the motor when the head came off.

The shop is going to put on a new head gasket and check compression again and then see if the motor will run.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What in the world would cause this?

Thanks
Alex

your broke or warped your piston rings and the compression rings, all you compression numbers are really low, rebuild and install new piston rings and compression rings

Yea, I would have said do a leak down test before you pulled the head.

I took the car to a local shop. It died hwile driving home, and I'm working out of state. So they didn't do a leak down.

Nope, they haven't pulled the rods. It was pretty easy to just pull the head, and put on a head gasket and check compression again.

Funny part is, why do the 3 cylinders with no compression look "washed out"? That was the mechanics term when he saw the inside of the head.

Plan is to put on the head gasket ( the only part bought so far) and see if it makes good compression.

If it doesn't, does anybody have a D15 motor for sale :(

Thanks

Alex

Heres an idea have your timing belt checked see if a couple teeth ripped off causing it to jump a few degrees, it would'nt be enough to get it to run funny, but it could've moved enough to get the piston to bend one the valves.

Dude dont be an idoit, it was a generalzation, never said the enigine would run poorly read the post .. look you have no clue what it is and you just might be thanking me when you find out.
So take the suggestion and go with it or dont make a thread if you cant take it.

Dude dont be an idoit, it was a generalzation, never said the enigine would run poorly read the post .. look you have no clue what it is and you just might be thanking me when you find out.
So take the suggestion and go with it or dont make a thread if you cant take it.
:wtf:

The timing belt looked good, no bent valves, head was checked at machine shop to see if it was warped. It was good.

The only thing that looked odd inside the engine was that the three cylinders that had no compression looked "washed out" and had no carbon build up inside the combustion chamber.

That is my real concern, that the engine will have compression, but maybe will end up having the same problem (whatever it is) when it goes back together.

Thank y'all for all of the responses.

alex

So what could possibly be wrong with an engine that doesn't run, did not jump time, has no bent valves, and no scarring on the cylinder walls, and showed 3 cylinders that had 55 lbs of compression and all 3 had a washed out appearance?

What is likely to go wrong with the motor if the shop does get it to run again?

it has to be, that a seal is bad. wich leave headgasket or rings. I'm not the smartest guy on this stuff, but to my understanding the only way to lose compression is if a seal goes (barring somthing obvious like a cracked block). If the valves are good then that leaves rings and head gasket, but wouldn't the head gasket result in compression lose in all 4 cylinders?

That's what I'm afraid of. That too much fuel got in those 3 cylinders. Still doesn't seem lilely that it would have been just 3 cylinders when I was running interstate speeds and it took me a moment to realize that I had lost power and get the clutch in.

Guess I'll stick with the paln and get them to put the head gasket in ant check compression.

Anybody got a 1500 engine for sale? :-(

I will have them check the oil, That's a real good idea

I would probably just try to buy an engine before I would go to the expense of having the bottom end taken apart.

It's not a lot more work from where the engine is now to just bolt the head on and check compression. If it is good, I'll have them try to get the engine running. Of course I still won't know what caused the problem.

And yeah I almost made it home to the small town where I grew up when the engine quit, so I took it to a known shop there, that works on a variety of cars, but they do have some Honda experience.

Would the ignition system dying cause 3 of the cylinders to get contaminated if it was while the car was running at speed?

Could the injectors fill the head with enough fuel to hydro-lock the cylinders?

I still have no clue what really happened to this engine!!!!

dude listen to blanco he knows what hes talking about, dont start throwing parts at your motor like that, be smart have a plan a headgasket wont fix your problem that causes a different problem if its blown do a leakdown and listen to your motor , tb, oil cap, oilpan just, because compression might hold doesnt mean there isnt a leak its probably your rings GL man ! :mellow:

they also need to check the head for bent valves before they put it bac on but yes the pan needs pulled and the rod un bolted and pulled out to check the piston pull the ring off and check the ring gap see if they are still in the service limit. blanco is right 99.9% of the time all thought we have had our disagreements.

Thanks guys, I'm going to call the shop today and at least have them check the oil to see if it is contaminated. I'll ask them about pulling the rods too.

I guess I need to start looking for a motor too. Any suggestions?

Know anyone who has a D15B2 that want to sell?

I want to keep the car as stock as possible, not a lot of power but great gas mileage.

Seriously, thank y'all for the responses.

Alex

Back