No compression.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

civic94cpe23

I have a friend who has a d16z6 in his 93 HB... His car hasnt been running for awhile so I went over to give him a hand. We ended up doing a compression check and it was kinda odd. As the car would turn over the car would hit about 80 PSI and drop PSI as fast as the car turned over. So it wouldnt even stay at 80 psi. We did all cylinders and all the same with psi slightly lower or higher. We did the test 4 times then tried it on my motor and the tester worked fine on mine?

Any ideas... I thought valves or headgasket?

Yup, either the head gasket or the valves. Good thing d series are super easy to work on... pull that head and see what's up.

do a cyl leak down test. this will tell you where its coming from. SNAP ON sells a good one.

Last edited:
You say the car has sat for awhile,not good for a high mileage eng,before you spend any money,try this---make sure the battery is fully charged,do the compression test again,this time remove the oil fill cap and watch for puffs of smoke,or hold your hand really close to the hole to feel for blow-by,remember to have the throttle wide open when cranking as that also changes readings.From all my years of repairing cars,it would be safe to assume the rings are not sealing very well. 1 more point to help,before you crank for compression,add a little fresh engine oil to the cylinder being tested.Wet compression test---if you get higher read,signals a problem with the compression rings,if your readings dont change,valve train problem,timing may be an issue,but not likely by what info you have supplied.Good luck and post results,and some rep power if this helps.

Back