No exhaust... Header with a resonator?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

mike203

I'm new to hearing this... Im buying a 1998 ek coupe with a b16 swap.. and I didn't see an exhaust on the car... So I asked what type there is and the guy told me there is no just headers going to a resonator... Can someone explain to me what this is and is this a good or bad thing?

Welcome to HondaSwap!

"Just header going to a resonator" could mean a few things... to me, I would HOPE that means you have a straight pipe from the header output all the way to where the normal tailpipe exits the car, but with a resonator section somewhere in the middle.

An exhaust resonator is pretty much a large muffler that goes before your muffler- it's meant to take out / trap undesirable frequencies of sound before they even get to your muffler. Without a muffler it'll still be quieter than just a straight pipe exhaust, but it's nowhere near ideal.

Now what the seller could mean is that there's literally just a resonator hanging off the header and then the exhaust just dumps out somewhere under the car. That would be bad- loud and stinky, plus not healthy for you to drive. The only way to know for sure is to take a peek under the car. If there's pipe going all the way back and you see just one section bulged out in the middle, that's your resonator.

Welcome to HondaSwap!

"Just header going to a resonator" could mean a few things... to me, I would HOPE that means you have a straight pipe from the header output all the way to where the normal tailpipe exits the car, but with a resonator section somewhere in the middle.

An exhaust resonator is pretty much a large muffler that goes before your muffler- it's meant to take out / trap undesirable frequencies of sound before they even get to your muffler. Without a muffler it'll still be quieter than just a straight pipe exhaust, but it's nowhere near ideal.

Now what the seller could mean is that there's literally just a resonator hanging off the header and then the exhaust just dumps out somewhere under the car. That would be bad- loud and stinky, plus not healthy for you to drive. The only way to know for sure is to take a peek under the car. If there's pipe going all the way back and you see just one section bulged out in the middle, that's your resonator.

CTvTEC.com - www.CtVtec.com

CTvTEC.com - www.CtVtec.com

Can't see them without an account... you might want to grab the pictures and post them up somewhere, then link them back in.

Yeah, hard to tell- but it at least looks like it exits the rear of the car from the second picture. And I don't know why, but for some reason the cut out rear bumper and the overall white color with the bottom of the trunk well make it look like a droopy diaper to me. Weird. :p

Back