No fuel?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

littlecrxVTEC

Hey everyone. Sorry this is long.

Got a pesky problem with my 89 CR-X Si not cranking. The story is this:

It began as a hard to start cold problem. Slowly got worse. I could turn the key and it would spin just fine but wouldnt fire up. Trying to crank it cold was very hard, and even warm took 2 tries or more sometimes. Trying to crank it was like rolling the dice. Once it cranked, it ran just as great as ever. No missing or anything.

Parts that I changed trying to track down the problem include dist cap, rotor button, plugs, fuel injector O-rings, and the in-tank fuel pump. Plug wires in great shape cuz I replaced them about 3 years ago.

Still won't crank.

Don't think it's the dist cuz its pretty new. Its a JDM B16a motor OBD-0. When the distributor bearings went out about 3 years ago, I replaced the dist with a brand new OBD-0 unit from Distributor King. I don't have a receipt anymore so any warranty is probably gone.
I suspect the motor isnt getting fuel. The motor is audibly different when you turn the key now. Just doesn't sound like it's firing. Seems like its spinning slower than it should be even when jumping it off. I had the starter tested just in case and it's good. Although, the car wouldn't start about a month ago either even when it seemed to spin over faster. At some point, it started to sound different when turning it over.

I had a friend try to crank it while I used my fingers to squeeze the fuel line that runs to the fuel rail and it just didnt seem like there was any pressure. Don't have a gauge but Im pretty sure its not getting fuel.

The main relay under the dash by the hood pop is clicking when you turn the key so I think its working.

Maybe its something to do with the fuel pump wiring? If I remember correctly I checked all the fuses and they were good, in car and under the hood.

The bad thing is, the car isnt here on location with me. Its an hour away. Why? Cuz it wont start so I can bring it here. lol.

Any ideas?

Thanks so much. I've become extremely aggrivated with it.

Last edited:
crank it for a couple of seconds, then take out one of the spark plugs, sniff it. see if you can smell gas.

or.

where the fuel line attaches to the rail, loosen (dont fully take it out, just loosen it) the bolt, then turn the car on, dont start it, just turn to on position, you will definatly know if your getting fuel, bc it will spray out. so dont leave the key on. turn it on then off again. get it?

yeah I get it. Thanks! I'll have to try that this weekend, the only time i have to drive for hours and waste all my time! yay! :mad: Need to get this mofo closer to me.

Thanks again

Back