no oil in filter

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

tim123

Well, i've finally put in my newly built d16z6, and for awhile i was not getting oil pressure to the head. I took it apart and replaced the oil pump, primed the pump and started to get a little bit of pressure, still not near enough. So yesterday i decided to run the oil pickup through a parts washer and then i replaced the oil pickup gasket. I had my oil cap off and i started it up, expecting no oil like it had been for the past week or so, but to my surprise oil sprayed out everywhere. So i was relieved i was finally getting a good amount of oil pressure into the head. So i hooked up my oil pressure gauge just to check on it and it read nothing. Soo then i took off my oil filter to check that out, and completely dry, not even a drop in the filter. So im confused now, oil is def making it to the head, alot of oil too. However nothing is making it up the backside of the block it seems like, where the filter and oil pressure sensor and stuff is. Any ideas? Is there a possibility there is just like an air pocket or somthing, If the rain passes by today when i get off ill work on it some more but i figured i would get some ideas. Thanks, im just anxious to resolve this issue and start the turbo install :p

oil must pass through the oil filter before it goes to any other part of the engine, it goes directly from the pump to the filter, the only thing before the filter is the oil pressure switch, and that is only on some models. Check and make sure you have the gauge hooked up properly, and then make sure the oil is getting out of the head and back down into the pan.

thanks guys, yeah i mean i guess the guage may be on wrong, its brand new from the box, electric autometer oil pressure gauge, its just weird, because there is no doubt oil pressure to the head, it made a mess when i started it, i even started it with the filter off and nothing came out, i heard about the valve in filters messing up especially in fram filters, i just figured it would still pass by the oil pressure sensor even if it wasnt going to the filter. ill have to mess around with it again and make sure its draining back down properly

So today i replaced my oil filter, filled it up with oil too before i put it on and still no reading on my gauge, not even a flicker on the needle. I double checked all of my wires, nothing wrong there. I dont get it. Theres only 3 wires so its hard to screw that up, Power or ignition on the gauge is going to positive on battery, it has a nice clean ground, and the connection from the sender to the gauge is fine. I know there is pressure to the head, oil sprays everywhere when you take the cap off and its started, but just nothing to the sensor. Im at a loss on this one..:(

are you sure there is enough oil in the motor?
are you sure you installed the oil pump properly?

something is definately wrong and all these starts with no oil is gonna destroy your motor

remove spark plugs and spin motor over to check oil flows etc
dry spinning a motor is bad, but not as bad as the rod getting blasted into the crank with no oil barrier at all

well it has oil spraying everywhere into the head, so the pump must be working, the motor runs solid and strong, just no oil getting to my pressure sensor and filter

Back