No opinions

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

jamesA

Thank you for your business.
VIP
For any of you who have Supercharged your cars...what all did it entail?

I know sisteve you SC'd your Si...tell me in detail what you needed/what you used/how you tuned it...I was thinking about fucking with the engine after all. 160 hp is nice...but 250 would be nicer. :)

I'll start doing legwork later if I can figure out how much it's gonna cost and if I can get this computer paid off soon.

you change your mind everyday about what you want to do or not to do, lol

SC would be sweet man, I don't see it much..

:( sorry... my problem was I was playing GT3 and my friends kept showing me videos of WRXs doing 360s and shit on open frozen lakes...fucking bastards...haha I get antsy and I just start asking questions and going "what if...?" and "if I could do this..."

Ya...I don't think I'm gonna resist the impulse one day if I find a WRX or Z28 and get a good deal on selling this car. <_<

Each have their own applications. A roots type blower is at home between two huge cylinder heads, and underneath two huger carbs. A turbo will be at home under the hood of any car owned by someone who is truely serious about performance. Every time. There is no discussion. The fact alone that a turbocharger is upwards of 75% efficient and takes NO power to turn vs. the Roots type blower barely managing 50% efficiency and requiring around 60 HP to turn at full boost pretty much proves this.

Turbo lag? I don't want to hear about it. Everyone whines about turbo lag like NOTHING happens when you step on the gas- not even naturally aspirated response. I'd rather wait for a second and then have a mountain of torque available to me then to have high initial tip in torque ready that quickly drops off with the onset of heatsoak. Don't know what I'm getting at? Drive any GM supercarged Grand Prix and you'll see what I'm talking about. Besides, with the advent of modern aerodynamics, ball bearing center sections, and more efficient intercooler cores, you can easily double the power output of the engine without any sacrifice in drivability. If anything, it'll be easier to drive because the torque rise will occur much sooner in the powerband.

Here's some real world facts that I personally have experienced: I had a '93 Si hatch with the stock D16Z6 w/ 130K miles on it. I spent about a grand on a turbo system with an FMU and ran 10 PSI on an IHI RHB5 turbo from a Thunderbird Turbocoupe and was making around 200 HP and 180 ft lbs. of torque at the wheels. A friend had a '91 hatch that he swapped a Z6 into as well as a Zdyne Gold ECU w/ VTEC and boost options. He decided to use the JR blower despite my adamant recommendations against it. So there we have it- almost identical cars, the same engines, but different feeding practices. We raced from a roll at idle. He had me off the line 'till I started to spool up at, ohh... about 2200 RPM. Once I hit full boost by 2700 RPM, I broke traction and kept with him 'till I grabbed 2nd. Bam, instant full boost when I let out the clutch and mashed the pedal. It was pretty much over after that, with him falling a good 50 yards behind me by the time we hit 110 MPH (we were on the highway). He spent upwards of $4000 on his blower and ECU. I spent about a grand, give or take $200 (I wasn't really keeping track).

I challenge anyone to put up an intelligent argument for a supercharger in a Honda. I will resoundingly debunk anything they say with proven facts, physics, and personal real world experiences.

Originally posted by Loco Honkey@Nov 29 2003, 01:20 AM
Each have their own applications. A roots type blower is at home between two huge cylinder heads, and underneath two huger carbs. A turbo will be at home under the hood of any car owned by someone who is truely serious about performance. Every time. There is no discussion. The fact alone that a turbocharger is upwards of 75% efficient and takes NO power to turn vs. the Roots type blower barely managing 50% efficiency and requiring around 60 HP to turn at full boost pretty much proves this.

Turbo lag? I don't want to hear about it. Everyone whines about turbo lag like NOTHING happens when you step on the gas- not even naturally aspirated response. I'd rather wait for a second and then have a mountain of torque available to me then to have high initial tip in torque ready that quickly drops off with the onset of heatsoak. Don't know what I'm getting at? Drive any GM supercarged Grand Prix and you'll see what I'm talking about. Besides, with the advent of modern aerodynamics, ball bearing center sections, and more efficient intercooler cores, you can easily double the power output of the engine without any sacrifice in drivability. If anything, it'll be easier to drive because the torque rise will occur much sooner in the powerband.

Here's some real world facts that I personally have experienced: I had a '93 Si hatch with the stock D16Z6 w/ 130K miles on it. I spent about a grand on a turbo system with an FMU and ran 10 PSI on an IHI RHB5 turbo from a Thunderbird Turbocoupe and was making around 200 HP and 180 ft lbs. of torque at the wheels. A friend had a '91 hatch that he swapped a Z6 into as well as a Zdyne Gold ECU w/ VTEC and boost options. He decided to use the JR blower despite my adamant recommendations against it. So there we have it- almost identical cars, the same engines, but different feeding practices. We raced from a roll at idle. He had me off the line 'till I started to spool up at, ohh... about 2200 RPM. Once I hit full boost by 2700 RPM, I broke traction and kept with him 'till I grabbed 2nd. Bam, instant full boost when I let out the clutch and mashed the pedal. It was pretty much over after that, with him falling a good 50 yards behind me by the time we hit 110 MPH (we were on the highway). He spent upwards of $4000 on his blower and ECU. I spent about a grand, give or take $200 (I wasn't really keeping track).

I challenge anyone to put up an intelligent argument for a supercharger in a Honda. I will resoundingly debunk anything they say with proven facts, physics, and personal real world experiences.

I'm not going to argue, because your post is what I was looking for.... answers. Thanks! :thumbsup:

i have on sc dom trucks and had nothing but + experences with them.
We would have gone the turbo root but on a v8 it is way harder.
The sc root is harder to change boost levels due to the necesity of swaping pulleys, compared to a turbo where you change the seting on the waste gate.

Besides... Turbos look cooler and sound better! :p im still working on my turbo setup.... I hate when emergencies arise and things get put on hold.

Go turbo... my .02

steve put 197 to the wheels with a full 3" exhaust, iceman intake, kamakaze header, etc...

it was untuned... just running the fmu shit that comes with the jackson kit.

took us about 2 full days to put it on.... but 4 hours of it was spent dealing with fat finger disease (damn itnake manifold bracket) lol

was it quick? it moved... ran 13.8 on slicks.. and 14.6 on street tires if memory serves.

you shouldn't have to ask me though... turbo is the way to go imo. i was just giving you the info you asked.
Had steve kept the car, his plan was to turbo it. go figure.

Back