No paint?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

utn

I am planning on buying a circa 91 hatch or CRX in a few months and I have a question. First of all, I have always been a fan of the DeLorean and its bare metal look. My question is, if I took a hatch etc. and sanded it down to the metal, polished it, or whatever I wanted to do with it, could I just have some clear coat sprayed on it and seal it away from rust/humidity (I know its not stainless, like the DeLorean)? If you have any negative comments about how it will look, keep 'em to your self :D

So any comments?

Thanks,
Scott

um, no.

clearcoat is not waterproof, thats why when painting a car you use a sealer before the basecoat. If you were to just clear it you would have major rusting very soon. Even one little chip would be a disaster.

I'm not that knowledgeable when it comes to paint, but the basecoat is like primer right? As in.. not clear? If so, is there anything that would seal it from humidity and still be clear?

Thanks,
Scott

your best bet would probly be to have the car painted a color similar to that of stainless steel then maybe get some air brushing done to give the look of rivited seems and such

Oh well, I was either thinking going the paintless way or a gunmetal metallic grey. I guess I'll probably do the grey now.

Thanks,
Scott

Originally posted by tylonalsnifnfool@May 4 2005, 06:33 PM
um, no.

clearcoat is not waterproof, thats why when painting a car you use a sealer before the basecoat. If you were to just clear it you would have major rusting very soon. Even one little chip would be a disaster.
[post=495154]Quoted post[/post]​

baaaamp wrong answer....clearcoat is very much waterproof. If it were not than it would absorb water and or let water through the surface and enevitably ruin the finish. As far as sealer goes your also absolutley wrong, sealer is used only to seal IN any product that is on the car before you paint it, as to not let it bleed out through and be visible in the new paint.
What the real problem would be here, is that clearcoat will not just adhere to bare metal as the original poster was talking about. It needs atleast something such as primer (which would be retarded anyhow) or basecoat to adhere to. otherwise it would simply flake off within weeks. the only thing you are correct about is that a chip would rust immediately.
no offense man, but if you dont know what your talking about then simply dont answer. Its people like you that misinform people, only to lead them to go do something wrong. In this case u told him not to do it which is right, but by what u said you obviously dont really know what your talking about. Dont take this to heart, its nothing personal but this site to to inform people of the correct things to do not to misinform them because u think you know what your doing when really you do not.

Back