No reserve gtr on eBay dealer backs out

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Coming from someone posting on a honda civic message board that mostly applies to 1990-2000 model civics/tegs.... I agree.

Coming from any other website where people normally drive around in 30-40K dollar cars for daily drivers. I highly disagree.

55K for a GTR is an awesome price, upkeep is pricey but it's a friggin GTR one of the faster cars in the world (based on track times, not top end) Are their better cars out there? Sure, but for $55K....... that's a chitload of car for little money.

I just did a two second search and found 3 cars near the $55k sales price. not a phenomenal discount imho. KBB is at ~$63k and for that year, you can't even use the launch control without voiding the warranty. (unless there is a new plan)

for the same price, i would prefer to have a 2011 M3. I'm not saying it's a better car, just my preference.

2011 BMW M3 Base, $59,998 - Cars.com

Lexus IS-F. not as much car, but a reasonable alternative.
2011 Lexus IS-F Base, $59,995 - Cars.com

BMW M5:
2009 BMW M5 Base, $59,995 - Cars.com

bahahaha on a side note, the GTR is still on cars.com
2009 Nissan GT-R Premium, $62,674 - Cars.com

Well those 3 cars aren't even in the same ball park..........

Because all of those cars would be more into the "luxury sport" category?

It's not just Nur times; in other tracks the GT-R has been consistently faster than the M3 and ran similar times to the 911 GT3. On the BMW boards, many members also admit the GTR is faster and suggest it's better off compared to higher-end sports cars. Maybe those special M3 models would be in the same category.

Last edited:
then you'd be wrong. :D

ok, so why is it far better than the other cars listed?

Because all of those cars would be more into the "luxury sport" category?

It's not just Nur times; in other tracks the GT-R has been consistently faster than the M3 and ran similar times to the 911 GT3. On the BMW boards, many members also admit the GTR is faster and suggest it's better off compared to higher-end sports cars.

will you EVER take a car like that to the track? Nobody will take a GTR to the track unless they are a millionaire. it just doesnt' make sense. saying the GTR dominates is like saying Jenna Jameson gives the best head. Duh, it's what she does. doesn't mean it happens for us or makes it that much "better".

if i owned a GTR i would drive it on the track. hell if i owned a gallardo, i would drive it in the snow.

they are just cars :shrug2:

So your argument is that it's not better only because you can't have one?

lolz

no, my argument is that since it's never going to be used to it's optimum performance level, there is no point in having THAT car for THAT price.

I'm just saying, for $60k, I would rather have one of the others as a daily driver.

if i had a a Billion dollars and money was no object, I would have all of them and travel to every track in teh world with a fully built GTR.

if i owned a GTR i would drive it on the track. hell if i owned a gallardo, i would drive it in the snow.

they are just cars :shrug2:

That's pretty much what I'm getting at. And the previous owner of that gt-r felt the same way. 36k miles on an 09 gt-r means it was driven every day.

My s2000 was (and probably still is) completely impractical, but in spite of that I loved that car. I swear no matter how childish it might look (it's not nearly as refined as an M3, ill give you that) If I were given the choice I'd take the GT-R every time. Not only is it a faster, more agile car than an M3, it's also a lot more rare. In my parking garage at work there are no less than 30 E9x M3s, absolutely 0 GT-Rs. It'll walk an m3 in straight line (with and without launch control), and it's the most affordable and epic super car ever built. And yes, if it even keeps up with a GT3 at Nur I'm calling it a super car.

Guess we posted at the same time. You're never going to use any of those cars at their optimum performance level, and I'd just much rather have a GT-R complete with the nissan badge, than an M3 for the same price and have it be less of a giggle to drive.

there is no debate thats it's the best priced "supercar". however, I feel that the things that make it a "supercar" make it impractical. just my $.02.

"Nobody" will take a GT-R to the track, but there's been quite a few at VIR and possibly some other tracks, and also other expensive cars on the track: you see Porsche, Lamborghini, and Ferraris at the track and they cost much more. Corvettes are considered to be the closes thing to the GT-R in terms of budget/performance, and those are also very common on tracks.

Many "supercars" are impractical for street use.

Last edited:
For every person that buys an expensive sportscar for the status, I'd like to think there's at least one person that buys one to actually use it for it's intended purpose.

personally i cant stand the GT-R (or the skyline for that matter)
it is the embodiment of everything that is wrong about cars (in my ever humble opinion)

i do not take away any credit for the GT-Rs achievements... everything they say it can do, it can indeed do.... (regardless of whether you actually know what the hell you are doing or not)

it is a fat bloated chunk of video game technology that makes up for its massiveness and shortcomings not only by heaping on power and software, but by removing the driver as far from the equation as possible

basically what the GT-R is, is a fat 3800lb pile of technology made by magazine racers and video gamers, for magazine racers and video gamers... its a dream car for people who like to quote specs and achievements

my first 2 thoughts when i saw my first GT-R were:
1- jeesus that thing is fucking huge
2 - the car looks bloated, like its retaining water, the car is actually muffin topping out of its own body work

if i want to play video games ill plant my ass on the couch and play video games
when i want to drive i want to DRIVE
and when im driving i like as little between me and the experience of the road as possible... the GTR simply does not provide that

the GT-R (and skyline) is so far down my list of cars that i would ever actually want to own, that i dont even assign numbers to that area...

I agree it looks bloated, but then again so do the Z's. You can see Nissan slowly turning towards that direction.

As far as weight, Nissans have always been heavy. R34 was like around 3600lbs and the upper-model 350/370Zs were heavy too; but many comment on how well they handle for their weight.

I also wouldn't consider a GT-R; at least not the Nissan. hint: Ultima ;)

I agree it looks bloated, but then again so do the Z's. You can see Nissan slowly turning towards that direction.

not even close. lol

gtrvs370z.jpg

So E, what do you think about my comparison with the 3 or 4 other cars i posted?

I have 2 friends that own GTR's that track them at HPDE's regularly. Every track event I've been to there has been at least one GTR there.

Back