No Response from Gas Pedal During Autox

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DeadxBunny

I have an '88 CRX DX with a B18A1 swap and Integra LS transmission. I was autocrossing with it this past weekend when I experienced a complete lack of response from the gas pedal after making a sharp turn. I was at the very beginning of the course, making the first sharp left turn while switching to 2nd gear when it happened. I pressed all the way down on the gas pedal, but the engine wouldn't rev. I let off the gas and pressed on it again several times, but no response. Even when I came to a complete stop, pressing the gas still would not prompt a response from the engine. The engine was still running around normal idle speed, it didn't stall or shut off. The check engine light did not come on. So, I got pushed off the course, parked it, turned off the engine, and then turned it back on. And magically it's back to normal. The engine responds to my pressing on the gas and seems fine. So, I got back on the course to try again and the same thing happened on the same turn. I coasted off course and once I came to a complete stop, I was able to get a response from the engine again, this time without turning the car off and back on. I was able to drive the car home from the autox without any issues. This issue has never happened before the autox and I am, so far, unable to recreate it.

It almost seems like it was fuel starvation, but I had over 3/4 tank of gas so that doesn't sound right. Could it be the fuel pump or maybe a sensor that some how got switched off when I took a hard turn? I'm not even sure where to start looking for this one... Any ideas? :confused:

yeah i know :( i posted the same question on a few other forums as well and no one has any ideas.

does anyone even have a remote guess?? i'm kinda desperate lol. i bought this car for the main purpose of autoxing and tracking it and the very first time i take it to an autox it pulls this crap on me :angry::angry:

i'm going to take a look at my ECU today and see if there's any loose or misplaced wires. if there's nothing suspicious there, i'll check out the fuel filter and fuel pump. after that, i'm fresh out of ideas... the gas tank is brand new and there's no fuel leaks anywhere that i can see...

- Jen (yah i'm a girl :p)

this sounds to me like the fuel pickup might be partially clogged.. or maybe someone improperly installed it when the tank was replaced

id pull the pickup and fuel pump out of the tank and take a look.

Actually, a friend of mine also suggested the fuel pickup to me today. I'll have to give that, the fuel pump and the throttle cable a looksie. Thanks for the suggestions!!

check for grounds too. a tug might be shorting something out on the battery/etc or a ground wire causing nothing to happen.

I'd say let's take it back to the shop and have them back track. =D

Back